J-2 Dependent Information for Current J-1 Scholars

If your immediate family (spouse and minor unmarried children under 21) did not accompany you to the U.S. but will be entering the U.S. at a later date, they will need to obtain a dependent DS-2019 to use to apply for a J-2 visa and enter the U.S. Please note that married children and children 21 years of age or older are not eligible for J-2 visas.

Notify your sponsoring department that you plan to invite your family to join you, and have them request the J-2 DS-2019s.

J-2 Specific Rules & Regulations

J-2 Employment

U.S. Immigration regulations permit J-2 visa holders to request permission to work in the U.S. by filing Form I-765 Application for Employment Authorization with the US Citizenship and Immigration Services. If your J-2 dependents would like to work in the U.S. or need to extend their J-2 work authorization, please refer to the J-2 Work Authorization document and contact an International Services Specialist for specific questions. J-2 visa holders cannot begin employment until the U.S. government grants this permission and the J-2 has the Employment Authorization Card (EAC) in his/her possession.

How to Apply for J-2 Work Authorization

J-2 Enrollment in Study

J-2s are permitted to attend school in the U.S. on a full-time or part-time basis. There is no limit or restriction to this.

J-2 Address Information

J-2 dependents were granted admission to the U.S. to enable them to remain together with their J-1 family member. As such, J-2s must maintain the same home address as the J-1 while inside the U.S.

Consequences of J-1 departing the U.S.

The J-2 cannot remain in the U.S. while the J-1 Exchange Visitor departs the U.S. unless the J-1 will be outside the U.S. for 30 days or less. The impact of a J-1’s departure should be considered before the J-2 undertakes employment or enrolls in classes.

International Dependents’ Guidebook

The International Student & Scholar Services staff has provided this guidebook to assist dependents with their adjustment to their new life in Colorado. You may find it helpful to read this brief guidebook in its entirety or you may find that only certain sections pertain to your situation.

International Student & Scholar Services

International Students

CU Denver

Student Commons Building

1201 Larimer Street

Suite 1119

Denver, CO 80204

International Scholars

CU Denver

Lawrence Street Center

1380 Lawrence Street

Suite 932

Denver, CO 80204

International Students & Scholars

CU Anschutz

Fitzsimons Building

13001 East 17th Place

Ground Floor: STE. EG305, EG305A, and EG306

Aurora, CO 80045

CMS Login