H-4 Dependent Information for Current H-1B Employees

International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) strives to serve our H1-B scholars/employees at the University of Colorado Denver with the highest service. The H-4 dependents of these H-1B Employees at the University of Colorado Denver are considered purely dependent upon their spouse or parent's H-1B.

An H-4 has specific restrictions and allowances during their time in the U.S. It is the responsibility of the H-4 or the guardian of the H-4 to understand these rules and responsibilities.

  • Spouses and unmarried minor children (under 21 years of age) of an H-1B principal are eligible for H-4 status to accompany or follow to join the H-1B principal.
  • Although the spouse and children of H-1B employees usually enter the U.S. as H-4s, they may enter in other visa classifications for which they qualify, such as F-1, J-1, B-2, or H-1B. Domestic partners are ineligible for H-4 status but may apply for B-2 visas. B-2 visitors are not eligible to work or study in the U.S.
  • There is no restriction on study for persons in H-4 status.
  • See the link below about H-4 employment authorization.

Please see below the specific resources and processes for the H-4 Dependents:

International Student & Scholar Services

International Students

CU Denver

Student Commons Building

1201 Larimer Street

Suite 1119

Denver, CO 80204

International Scholars

CU Denver

Lawrence Street Center

1380 Lawrence Street

Suite 932

Denver, CO 80204

International Students & Scholars

CU Anschutz

Fitzsimons Building

13001 East 17th Place

Ground Floor: STE. EG305, EG305A, and EG306

Aurora, CO 80045

CMS Login