Goodbye, SharePoint. Hello, Sitefinity!Feb 13, 2018
The transition to Sitefinity as our new website content management system (CMS) continues to move forward in 2018. Three sites have been launched since Sitefinity went live last year – Office of Information Technology (OIT), University Communications and @Web (the university’s CMS resource site designed to help new users learn and migrate to Sitefinity). Each school, college, department and business unit will move to the new CMS during transition phases scheduled over the next two years.
There are 17 campus units involved in the current phase of the CMS transition. Web managers can start preparing for the move to Sitefinity by studying the training information at the @Web learning site. This learning site, launched in December, offers new users step-by-step instructions for how to use Sitefinity to build pages and add content using widgets. The site will continue to be enhanced as additional information and new features become available.
To prepare for your website transition:
- Request to transition your site to Sitefinity.
- Request a content inventory spreadsheet to review each of your pages and data about traffic on those pages (email request to: email@example.com).
- Identify your site goals and target audiences.
- Start organizing, cleaning up your content and meeting with your subject matter experts – it’s what ends up taking the longest in the CMS transition process.
- Once your unit is in transition, GatherContent (a tool for collaborative content creation and workflow) will be made available at no cost to help organize your work as you gather content and run it through subject matter expert approvals.
Involve all stakeholders in this initial content inventory and planning process and be open to feedback both internally and externally to help improve usability on your new site.
The CMS transition team, made up of staff from the Office of Information Technology and University Communications, looks forward to working with each school and department as we move from SharePoint to Sitefinity throughout the entire university. Until it comes time for the CMS transition team to start working with you, keep up to date with the latest news on @Web.