Reminders for fall semester learning, teaching, and workingAug 12, 2022
Ready for the fall semester? Students, faculty, and staff should be sure that your university password is current, and apps, operating systems, and software are up to date. Following are some suggested steps to take:
- Authentication. Be sure you have your username, password, and device for multi-factor authentication handy for accessing university resources. Need to reset your password? You can easily reset or update your password using one of several options including text message, email or by answering challenge questions on the password reset page.
- Devices and operating systems. Check to see if your laptop or desktop computer is configured with the latest software, including your web browser, and updated operating systems to optimize performance.
- Review the table of recommended device and system operating systems for improved functionality and the CU Secure and MFA webpage for more details about supported devices and the use of multi-factor authentication (MFA) with campus resources.
- Microsoft Defender for Endpoint antivirus software was installed on Windows operating systems managed by the university earlier this summer. If you have any questions, please contact the OIT Service Desk.
- Security. OIT highly recommends using the Duo Mobile app on your cell phone and selecting the Duo Push option for authenticating – it is a quick and easy method. MFA using Duo Security is required whether on-campus or off-campus for:
- Microsoft 365 applications including Outlook for university email
- Employee and student portals
- GlobalProtect – the university’s virtual private network (VPN)
- VMWare Horizon remote desktop
- Classroom support. Schedule a room tutorial to gain hands-on training from an AV expert to make the most of your classroom technology. For additional support, CU Anschutz faculty can email OIT-AVServices@cuanschutz.edu; CU Denver faculty can call 303.315.2055.
- As a reminder, Techsmith is phasing out their video hosting solution, Knowmia. As of August 1, Panopto has been implemented as the enterprise solution for creating and hosting videos. More information about the migration of content is available in the Teach with Technology newsletter and Techsmith Knowmia Migration FAQs.
- OIT completed security improvements earlier this month to protect against unauthorized access to computer systems in CU Anschutz classrooms and common conference rooms. This update requires either University of Colorado, UCHealth, or Children's Hospital Colorado credentials to log on to podium computers in classrooms, conference rooms, and auditoriums managed by OIT. Information about the new requirements and classroom computer how-to guide are available on the OIT CU Anschutz Shared Computer Security Guidelines webpage.
- OIT Service Desk. The OIT service desk is available to assist students, faculty, and staff with technology questions. Extended phone support is currently available from 7:30am – 6pm, Monday – Thursday and 7:30am – 5pm, Friday by calling 303.724.4357 (or 4-HELP from a campus phone). Chat with the team at https://oitsupport.ucdenver.edu/ or submit a ticket via the OIT Service Center at https://servicecenter.oit.ucdenver.edu/CherwellPortal/IT.
Tags: classroom support Duo Multi-factor Authentication operating system secure work and learning Security