Lost and Stolen Devices

Category: IT Security Audience: Faculty Researchers Staff
If a university owned and issued electronic device has been lost or stolen, learn how to report the missing item to OIT and Campus Police.
1. Report the loss to the police:
    • If the loss occurs at CU Anschutz, contact Campus Police at 303-724-4444. 
    • If you are on the Denver campus, call 303-556-5000.  
    • If the theft occurs elsewhere, contact the police department in that jurisdiction to file a report.

2. Inform your supervisor and department IT support staff. 

3. Submit a Cherwell ticket immediately (see below for steps):
    • Go to OIT’s ticketing portal
    • Sign in with your CU username and password.
    • Click the “Make a Request” button.
    • Move the inner right slider all the way to the bottom of the page until you see “Security Event” and click on it. 
    • Select “Lost/Stolen Device”
    • Provide as much information as possible:
    • A detailed account of what happened including a timeline.  Also provide the names of anyone you notified about the incident or anyone who might have additional information.
    • Make, model and serial number of the lost/stolen device.
    • Whether the device was encrypted or not.
    • Your title and a brief description of your typical job duties.
    • What type of data was on the device, especially anything sensitive such as patient information, student information, personal financial information, etc.

4. Change your university password immediately.

A member of the Risk and Compliance team will contact you.  Please be prepared to provide a copy of the official police report and, if the device was encrypted, evidence of the encryption (you can get this from your department IT support staff.