Retirees may be hired into temporary staff or faculty retiree positions and are a suitable hiring solution for limited term hiring needs. Occasions in which hiring a working retiree may be optimal includes:
- Fill a vacancy while a recruitment process takes place;
- Train, cross-train, transfer knowledge or act in a short-term mentoring role for a new incumbent;
- Provide specialized knowledge or fill a specialized role on a limited or project basis.
Policy: Hiring Retirees to Work in Staff Positions - APS 5054
How to Hire a Retiree
- As soon as you know you will be hiring a retiree, complete the Faculty and Staff Working Retiree Questionnaire.
- Central HR Operations (HR-Ops) will send you confirmation, identifying the correct job code and if a posting process is required.
- If posting is required, HR-Ops will work with the department on posting.
- HR Business Partner creates position in HCM and submits draft offer letter for review to Central HR.
- HR will review the offer letters to ensure they contain the appropriate language for retirees.
A few important things to keep in mind:
- If a department hires PERA retiree (CU or Non-CU), it is the retiree’s responsibility to notify the department and track hours worked to comply with PERA rules.
- For Colorado Public Employee Retirement Association (PERA) retirees can work a maximum 110 days or 720 hours per calendar year. When a retiree works more than 110 days or 720 hours, PERA will reduce the retiree’s monthly pension by a formula-set.
Retirees at the Ready Program
Periodically, job opportunities arise on a temporary basis for individuals that have unique university knowledge and skills. Central Human Resources maintains a list of working retirees that is distributed to hiring departments upon request.
For departments wanting to use the retiree list:
- Hiring department requests to view the working retiree list by completing the Retiree List Request Form so HR-Ops can collect basic information
about what the job entails.
- HR-Ops will match the job with a list of potential retirees in the needed skillset and forward that list to the hiring department.
- Hiring departments can then reach out to retirees to discuss the opportunity
For individuals that retired from CU who are interested in work:
If you are interested in being added to the list, please complete the Working Retiree List Form.