Three things faculty can do to help students succeed NOW
communication to improve connection and motivation.
- Send 2-3 weekly emails communicating
your confidence in students' ability to learn and your willingness to support
them during this stressful time.
- Reach out directly to any student that
hasn't been participating in your course without judgment and offer to connect
them to resources.
- Implement flexible deadlines.
- Be flexible about how students demonstrate
their learning. Consider accepting audio voice recordings, photo documentation
or other ways that students can show they have learned what you want them to
- Record your lectures or class presentations
and allow student to engage either synchronously or asynchronously.
Remember that students may not be able to “attend” your class at the regularly
scheduled time because of new family commitments, new work commitments, or new
- Allow students to reach you by phone and
email, not just by video chat.
predictability in your course
Create modules that follow a clear pattern.
Let students know how much time they should
be spending on specific tasks.
Provide grading rubrics or criteria for all
assignments in advance.