Skip to main content
Sign In

Graduate Student Advising: FAQ


 General questions


 How many courses do students who work full-time take each semester?

The typical pattern is two courses in the fall and spring semesters and one course in the summer. Summer is accelerated so only one course is advisable.​​


 How long will it take me to complete my degree if I take two courses in fall and spring and one course in summer?

The MBA is a 16-course program, so it will take you three years and one semester to earn the degree if you take five courses each year.

A 10-course MS program will take at least two years following this pattern. Please be aware that summer course options may be limited or not available. Additional time will be necessary if common body of knowledge (CBK) or prerequisite coursework is required.​


 What is a full-time course load?

The Business School does not monitor your enrollment for full or part-time status. You determine the pace at which you want to go through your program.

If you work full-time, the average course load is one or two courses in the fall and spring terms, one in the summer (pending availability).

If you are not working, you may take three or four courses in the fall and spring terms, two in the summer (pending availability). Keep in mind, this pace would require a significant amount of coursework each week throughout the semester.

If you are receiving tuition assistance, full or part-time status is determined and monitored by the entity providing the funding, such as, financial aid, or Veteran’s Affairs (e.g. GI Bill). Please contact the respective office for enrollment requirements.

If you are an international student, please make sure to consult with the International Student & Scholar Services office for your enrollment requirements.​


 If I wish to modify my degree plan to do an internship, independent study, transfer coursework, substitute courses, or other changes, how do I do that?

The process may vary depending on the type of modification. Contact an advisor for specific instructions.​​


 How do I submit a petition?

The petition can be sent directly to an advisor, or to the general advising email:

The advisor will forward your petition and file to the program director for their review. Once a decision on your petition has been made, the advisor will email you to let you know if your request has been approved or denied. Please be aware, it can take 5-10 business days to receive back a decision on your petition request.​


 What are the requirements to transfer coursework?

Graduate transfer courses must meet the following requirements:

  1. Taken within the last five years
  2. Received a grade of "B" or better
  3. From an AACSB accredited business program
  4. Cannot have counted towards a previous degree
  5. Must be a graduate level course

Transfer courses meeting the above requirements must be petitioned with the course syllabus. The petition and syllabus may be submitted by email to a graduate advisor for processing and review by the program director.There is a limit to the number of transfer credits accepted. These limits are listed below in semester hours (quarter hours are transferred at a rate of 0.67 Semester Hours = 1.0 Quarter Hours)

  1. MBA 12 semester hours
  2. MS* 9 semester hours
  3. Dual (MBA/MS) 18 semester hours (9 MBA & 9 MS per Program Director discretion)
  4. Dual (MS/MS) cannot exceed 30% of total number of hours
  5. For MBA, 24 credits can be accepted from other University of Colorado campuses. For MS*, up to 15 credits can be accepted from these other campuses.

*MS in Business Analytics allows a maximum of 6 semester hours.

Official transcripts are required to complete the transfer process. Please check with an advisor on the status of your transcripts.

If you have not yet taken the course that you wish to transfer, you should petition for approval in advance.​


 How much homework should I expect?

For hybrid, online, or campus 16-week courses, the estimated amount is 10 hours of homework per course per week, not including class time.

For hybrid, online, or campus 8-week courses (summer, South Denver, Cyber Security Certificate), the estimated amount is 20 hours of homework per course per week, not including class time.​


 What are my resources for knowing which courses will be offered in a specific term?

Students can use the “Class Search” tool in UCDAccess to look up current, future and past courses. Past schedules can help to predict possible course options for future semesters, but are subject to change. The advising team can also assist you:​​​


 Where can I find feedback from other students regarding instructors and courses?

Please reference the Faculty Course Questionnaire results page.​​


 Do I need to declare a specialization right away?

Most programs do not require a specialization. If you decide to declare a specialization, for planning purposes, it is helpful to declare earlier than later.

Specializations are required in the MS Information Systems and MS in Finance and Risk Management programs.

The specialization you choose will be documented on your final transcript, but not on your diploma.​


 How do I declare my specialization?

To declare, please email with your student ID number and your chosen specialization.​​


 How do I find my text books?

Close to the start of each term, please visit to search for your book list by course. You may also check the Course Books tab in the student portal. Additional resources for finding books include the course syllabus in canvas or instructor email (CU Denver email).​​


 In what order should I take my courses?

Some courses may only be offered once a year, therefore, consider blending core and elective classes in the same term. When planning courses, please be mindful of corequisite and prerequisite requirements. Please refer to your Welcome Email for program specific information as applicable. ​​


 What is a prerequisite? What is a corequisite?

A Prerequisite is a course which must be completed prior to enrolling in a class. A corequisite is a course which may be completed prior or concurrently.  All course PREREQUISITES and COREQUISITES must be met in order to enroll. Prerequisites and corequisites are enforced by the registration system.​

Prerequisites and corequisites can be found in the registration or class search functions in UCDAccess by clicking on the section link of the course and looking in either the “Enrollment Requirements” or “Description” box.​


 Why can’t I register?

There could be many reasons why you are unable to register. We recommend you review the following: 

  • Check your assigned registration date and time
  • If you were waived from a prerequisite or corequisite, approved for a substitution of a core course, or transferred credit for a core course, you may need permission to enroll. Please contact to request permission to enroll. Make sure to include your student ID number, course, and section number (i.e. ACCT 6442, section 001). 
  • Check the “holds” box in UCD Access to see if you have a hold on your account. If so, click on the hold to find out the appropriate course of action.
  • If this is an extended studies course (ENTP, RISK, or CMDT), you must register for the extended studies section. Please see the class notes for specific instructions.​

 Am I required to take summer courses?

Taking courses in summer is not required by the Business School. If you decide to take courses in summer, please keep in mind that summer course offerings can be limited or may not be available. Additionally, summer semester is an accelerated term (8 weeks instead of 16 weeks) therefore you should plan on taking fewer courses in summer compared to a Fall or Spring semester.​​


 Am I required to meet with an academic advisor?

Newly admitted MS Accounting and MS International Business students are required to meet with an advisor before enrolling in their first term. For all other graduate business programs, meeting with an advisor is not required but recommended.​​


 How do I schedule an appointment with an advisor?

You can schedule an appointment with an advisor by calling 303-315-8110. Appointments are available Monday through Thursday, and can either be in-person or over-the-phone.​​​


 How can I contact an advisor via email?

For assistance via email, you may contact anyone in the graduate advising team through their individual email, or you may email our general address,, which is monitored by the advising team on a daily basis. We strive to return emails within one to two business days. During peak advising times, priority is given to registration and enrollment needs.​​


 In what format are classes taught?

The Business School offers campus (in-person), online (instruction through computer only), and hybrid (combination of campus and online) classes. Keep in mind that not all courses will be available in all three formats. Many courses might have only one format option in a given semester. 

If you are an international student, you will need to enroll in at least one campus or hybrid class each fall or spring semester, depending on your visa type. If you have questions, please check with International Student Scholar Services (ISSS).​


 My question isn’t about my degree requirements. Can advisors still help?

Yes! While we will not be able to address content in areas outside of graduate business, academic advising, we can connect you to the appropriate university resource, like Financial Aid, Registrar, Bursar, International Student Scholar Services, and other offices.​



© The Regents of the University of Colorado, a body corporate. All rights reserved.

Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. All trademarks are registered property of the University. Used by permission only.