Differentiate yourself academically, find new challenges, and personalize your university experience by joining the Honors Scholars Program
(HSP) at CU Denver. The certificate program provides highly
motivated students with unique learning experiences aimed to stimulate
curiosity and critical thinking with flexible and personalized learning
options. This program is meant to help you achieve your educational
goals by developing your talents, providing opportunities to explore
your passions, and feeding your intellectual curiosity.
Are you a student who...then HSP may be for you.
Wants to explore new and challenging topics in greater depth?
Would like to differentiate yourself academically?
Is self-motivated and likes to feel challenged and engaged?
Wants an individualized experience at the university?
flexible certificate program allows students to set their own honors
goals and design their own plans. Students can combine challenging
coursework and co-curricular and extra-curricular activities to work
toward their goals to earn a certificate in honors.
To earn honors, students must complete 15 credit hours of honors-level work and maintain a 3.25 or better.
Students may do so in a variety of ways, including by completing:
- an honors section of a course, offered by a department
- a first-year experience seminar designated as honors
- a 5000-level course (by permission of instructor)
- departmental thesis credit
- an honors contract negotiated with faculty to extend assignments in existing courses
- an independent study
- study abroad classes taken for credit
- internships taken for credit
Students may replace 3 credit hours of coursework with co-curricular or extra-curricular activities that may include but are not limited to:
- Undergraduate (EUReCA!) research grants or other mentored research conferences, colloquia, or seminar presentations
- Research and Creative Activities Symposium (RaCAS)
- Leadership activities
- Community service and engagement
- Uncredited Study abroad
- Uncredited Internships
- Honors workshop
Are you faculty or staff member with an amazing student... or a few?
Faculty and staff are invited to nominate a current CU Denver undergraduate for the Honors Scholars Program (HSP).