Students in many programs are required to complete a comprehensive exam (COMP) or culminating experience (CE) prior to completion of their degree and/or licensure/endorsement program. Students must register for these exams and experiences.
Your culminating experience may be one of the following:
- A project - Teach for America and Educational Psychology Partner School students (Culminating Assessment)
- A portfolio - Culturally & Linguistically Diverse Education, Literacy (including Secondary English Education master's degree), Special Education, School Psychology, Information & Learning Technologies, Math, Science and Social Studies master's degree
- A paper - Administrative Leadership & Policies Studies
- A take-home exam, not timed, but with a due date - Early Childhood Education, Educational Psychology
- A timed comprehensive exam - Counseling
- Master's Thesis: If you have received approval from faculty to complete a Master's Thesis in lieu of COMPS or culminating experience, visit this link for instructions.
- Doctoral students should follow the instructions for their exams found here.
Your program handbook provides details on your required COMP or CE. Should you have content specific questions regarding your CE, please contact your faculty advisor.
- Submit the Comprehensive Exam/Culminating Experience Registration Form. The deadline for Spring 2015 is February 4th, 2015.
- If you are also graduating the same term you are completing your COMPS/CE, make sure that you have also applied for graduation through UCD Access by the deadline listed on the Academic Calendar. Registering for your comprehensive exam or culminating experience does not register you for graduation.
- Register for at least one course during the semester you complete your COMP/CE. If you can't take a class the semester you plan to complete your COMP/CE, you must register and pay for one credit hour as a Candidate for Degree (CAND 5940). The CAND 5940 class number for Spring 2015 is 10453. If you are already registered for another course the semester you are completing your COMP/CE, you don't need to register for CAND 5940. In UCD Access, you will need to go to your student center page, search for classes and then select the ENROLL TAB. Enter the class number above in the box labeled "add to cart/enter class number".
- Expect to receive communication from the CU School of Education & Human Development via your official CU Denver e-mail. We will send you acknowledgement notices, announcements and COMP/CE results.
- Complete your COMP/CE by the required due date. Portfolios, papers, projects and take home exams should be turned in by Friday, April 10th, 2015 (unless instructed otherwise by your faculty advisor). The comprehensive timed exam for the Counseling program will take place on Saturday, April 11th, 2015 from 8 a.m. - 12 noon.
- If you decide to postpone completing your COMP/CE, please notify Academic Services.
Doctoral Students should contact Academic Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or 303-315-6300 prior to the posted deadlines for instructions.