Skip to main content
Sign In

School of Education and Human Development University of Colorado Denver

School of Education and Human Development


Students in many programs are required to complete a comprehensive exam (COMPS) or culminating experience (CE) prior to completion of their degree and/or licensure/endorsement program. This comprehensive exam or experience varies in format for each individual program.  Examples include but are not limited to portfolios, timed exams, papers, projects, or capstone courses.  Your program handbook provides details on your required COMP or CE. Should you have content specific questions regarding your CE, please contact your faculty advisor.  Please follow the below steps to declare your intent in submitting or taking COMPS/CE.

  1. Submit the Comprehensive Exam/Culminating Experience Registration Form. The deadline for registering for Spring 2017 is February 1st, 2017.
  2. If you are also graduating the same term you are completing your COMPS/CE, make sure that you have also applied for graduation through UCD Access by the deadline listed on the Academic Calendar. Registering for your comprehensive exam or culminating experience does not register you for graduation.
  3. Register for at least one course during the semester you complete your COMP/CE. If you can't take a class the semester you plan to complete your COMP/CE, you must register and pay for one credit hour as a Candidate for Degree (CAND 5940). The CAND 5940 class number for Spring 2017 is 10279. If you are already registered for another course the semester you are completing your COMP/CE, you don't need to register for CAND 5940. In UCD Access, you will need to go to your student center page, search for classes and then select the ENROLL TAB. Enter the class number above in the box labeled "add to cart/enter class number".
  4. Expect to receive communication from the School of Education & Human Development via your official CU Denver e-mail. We will send you acknowledgement notices, announcements and COMP/CE results.
  5. Complete your COMP/CE by the required due date. Portfolios, papers, projects and take home exams should be turned in by Friday, April 7th, 2017 (unless instructed otherwise by your faculty advisor). The comprehensive timed exam for the Counseling program will take place on Saturday, April 15th, 2017 from 8 a.m. - 12 noon. Please note this is a date change
  6. If you decide to postpone completing your COMP/CE, please notify Academic Services
  7. .

CU Denver School of Education &
Human Development

1380 Lawrence St., Denver, CO 80204 | Map It

© The Regents of the University of Colorado, a body corporate. All rights reserved.

Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. All trademarks are registered property of the University. Used by permission only.