For Site Owners: Adding the WebPartMaintenance role to a permission group
1. Go to the site where your users need to edit webparts
2. Sign in as a siteowner who has the capability to manage permissions
NOTE: This may be the webmaster for a school, or you may need to contact UWS using the permissions request form
3. Go to Site Actions -> Site Permissions
4. Select the checkbox next to the permission group that you wish to grant web part editing capabilities.
5. Click the Edit User Permissions button in the ribbon
6. On the resulting interface check off the WebPartMaintenance role
7. Make sure that the other roles (contribute for editors or contribute and approve for contributors) are still selected.
8. Click OK
9. PLEASE NOTE: Especially for the editor level groups, this role will grant additional permissions, users may see more items under Site Actions and be able to access more options under Site Settings.