Meet Jessica Tharp, CU Denver’s Asia Study Abroad Coordinator!
Jessica is the Asia Study Abroad Coordinator at CU Denver’s Office of Global Education. She advises students who are interested in studying abroad in Asia as well as coordinates CU Denver’s Semester in Beijing Program. Jessica studied abroad and volunteered in India, taught English in Vietnam, and has travelled to Malaysia, Singapore, Cambodia, Thailand and Israel. She is completing her Master’s degree in International Education from the School of International Training in Vermont. You can email her at JESSICA.THARP@UCDENVER.EDU
Top 10 Reasons to Study Abroad:
- Get Better Grades: Statistically, average students obtain higher GPAs if they study abroad.
- Professional Growth: Globally minded employees are in high demand. Employers are looking for candidates who have international experience and intercultural communication skills.
- Personal Growth: Studies show you’ll be happier, more inquisitive, more confident, and more likely to engage in your community.
- Learn a new language by immersing yourself in the culture where that language is spoken.
- Earn academic credit for taking classes abroad.
- Conquer Stereotypes Abroad by Educating Others: This is also a unique opportunity to educate others about who you are as an individual and as a group. You can illustrate your own experiences in the United States in comparison to what others see and hear. This is your chance to be an individual, as well as a representative of your culture, and to encourage positive understanding of global diversity.
- Explore your Heritage.
- Gain a new perspective on your own country.
- Become a Full-Time Learner: Most students who study abroad say that most of their learning comes from outside of the classroom.
- Try something new!
Adapted from http://allabroad.us/top_ten_reason.php
Studying abroad can seem expensive, but nearly all CU Denver students who study abroad receive some form of support from financial aid and/scholarships. CU Denver students can still receive financial aid for their studies abroad! The Financial Aid Office will consider many factors including tuition, airfare, meals, and housing costs when awarding funds. Your study abroad goals can be reached with careful and realistic planning, as well as diligent exploration of your financial options.