As everyone is aware, the security of sensitive electronic information is an issue of critical significance for all academic institutions. The loss of sensitive information continues to occur at universities across the country with substantial consequences for both institutions and individuals. One of the common sources of data loss is lost or stolen mobile devices including laptop computers, Smart Phones, PDA’s, and external storage devices.
Encryption at the university
The university policy requires that all laptops containing Private Data be encrypted. Additionally, the Office of Regulatory Compliance (ORC) requires that all HIPAA department laptops be encrypted using OIT-approved, centrally managed encryption software.
To have your laptop encrypted using the standard University Encryption Software, please contact your LAN Administrator, your department Technical Coordinator, or contact the UC Denver OIT Help Desk at (303) 724-4357 (4HELP).
- PGP (Pretty Good Privacy): PGP is a data encryption and decryption computer program that provides cryptographic privacy and authentication for data communication.
- PGP Encryption Software is used to encrypt all new laptops and any older laptops that require encryption.
Deployment and Management of Encryption Software
OIT will be the sole provider of this solution on university-owned mobile assets. This exclusivity is necessary based on these factors:
A standard solution needs to be used across campus to provide both scalability and supportability over the long-term.
Encryption Keys and Data Survivability
Centrally-maintained encryption keys will provide backup, facilitate data recovery, and allow for the provision of 24x7 password support.
Auditability and Accountability
A standard solution provides an audit and accountability framework.
A standard solution represents the lowest total cost of ownership (TCO) for the university.
General Encryption Information
- University-owned devices only
- Operating Systems: Windows Vista, Windows 7, WIndows 8. Mac OS 10.7x, 10.8x, and 10.9x
- Fairly wide variety of models ≤ 4 years old
- UCDENVER domain membership / SCCM
- PDA’s & Smart Phones
- Fairly wide variety of models - TBD
- Windows Mobile 5, 6, Palm OS 3, 4, 5, others TBD
- Blackberry’s excluded
Project Contact Information
If you have questions about whole disk encryption please contact the OIT Help Desk at 303-724-4357(4HELP). If you have questions or concerns about data security or policies relating to data security, please call the Office of Regulatory Compliance at 303-724-1010.