Effective April 26, 2010, the University of Colorado Denver has lifted the restriction on faculty/staff travel to Haiti. The revised policy allows faculty/staff travel to Haiti for purposes of University business or research. Because of lingering conditions that may affect health and safety, all faculty/staff travelers to Haiti must comply with pre-travel protocols and risk management measures as outlined below.
The restriction on student travel to Haiti remains in effect. Student travel bans may be appealed for individual or group travel. All appeals will be reviewed by the International Risk Management Committee with final decisions to be made by the Provost.
Requirements for Faculty/Staff Travelers to Haiti
• Travelers must complete a Travel Authorization form regardless of the source of funds used in travel.
• Travelers must register in the International SOS data base. Information pertaining to International SOS registration and services will be sent to the traveler upon completion of the TA.
• Travelers must register on the State Department Web Site.
• It is highly recommended that travelers secure individual Travel Health insurance (at their own expense). The Office of International Affairs recommends International SOS Individual Travel Health Insurance or similar coverage and will provide information pertaining access to appropriate coverage upon completion of the TA. Travelers who expect to remain for an extended time or who anticipate making several trips within a single year will be advised of affordable extended coverage options.
• Individual travelers must provide the International Risk Management Committee a responsible destination-specific risk management plan prior to departure.
Required information includes:
- Clear indication of destination specific risks with a plan for risk mitigation
- Multi-modal communications plan – including local cell phone, Skype, US cell phone, etc.
- Full itinerary including accommodations information
- Faculty/Staff travelers are responsible for taking adequate preventative health preparations
- Contact information for a local NGO or governmental organization with which traveler has established affiliation.
- Supplemental itinerary information such as, alternative local contact information, dates and sites of travel beyond destination site.
For further information, Haiti travelers may contact the Office of International Affairs at 303-315-2230 Carolyn.North@ucdenver.edu or, for student-related travel, John.Sunnygard@ucdenver.edu, 303-315-2230.