State Authorization

The University of Colorado Denver (CU Denver) and the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus (CU Anschutz) is a two-campus consolidated entity accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) and is known by its authorized name, the University of Colorado Denver (the “University”) and by its working name, the University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus.

The University is a member of the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA). The University is authorized to provide distance education, including online classes, continuing education opportunities, field trip experiences, and “experiential” activities to students located in other states that participate in NC-SARA.

While the University is currently authorized or exempt from seeking state authorizations across the United States, this process is dynamic and subject to change. This website will be periodically updated with information about professional licensure and policies to support your education. 

Students should check the State Authorization and Professional Licensure material before registering for classes each session for the most up-to-date information. 


Professional Licensure

University of Colorado Denver, comprised of CU Anschutz and CU Denver, offers degree programs that lead to professional licensure with the State of Colorado and may allow graduates to be eligible for licensure in other states. Current and prospective students are strongly encouraged to contact the state’s licensure entity where they intend to practice using the links provided to review all licensure and certification requirements imposed by the state(s) of choice.

This information is provided per U.S. Department of Education - Federal Regulation 34 CFR 668.43(a)(5)(v) , and in compliance with the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (NC-SARA) Policy Manual. These disclosures are strictly limited to the university’s determination of whether the degree programs, if successfully completed, would be sufficient to meet the educational licensure or certification requirements in a state. States vary in which professions are required to be licensed and how licensure functions. The terms related to licensure and certification, among others, also vary by state as well. Some states require individuals to complete additional requirements that are unrelated to educational prerequisites. The University cannot provide verification of an individual’s ability to meet licensure or certification requirements unrelated to its educational programming. 

These disclosures do not provide any guarantee that any particular state licensure or certification entity will approve or deny an application. Additionally, these disclosures do not account for changes in state law or regulation that may affect an application for licensure that occurs after these disclosures have been made. Students should check the Professional Licensure material before registering for classes each session for the most up-to-date information.

As a member of NC-SARA, the University is allowed to provide distance learning programs (both online and learning placements) and coursework to students located in states other than Colorado. Membership does not grant reciprocity or exemption from state professional licensing requirements. Licensing requirements in Colorado may not be recognized as sufficient to obtain a license in other states.

The University shall not be held liable if a student is unable to qualify for licensure or certification in any jurisdiction.

CU Denver Schools and Program Determinations

CU Anschutz Program Determinations

School of Education and Human Development

College of Liberal Arts and Sciences

College of Architecture and Planning

CU Denver Policies

The U.S. Department of Education requires that certain information be disclosed in a clear, prominent, user-friendly and easily understood manner. The intent of the requirement is to enable students to make an informed choice.

Learn about complaint filing and resolution, as well as out-of-state student policies, international student policies, credit transfer, and refund policies below.

Looking for CU Anschutz State Authorization information?

CMS Login