This course of study allows students without a pre-professional degree to pursue a professional Master of Architecture degree in a minimum of three years. The curriculum follows a prescribed course of fundamental core courses and six design studios. Applicants must hold a baccalaureate degree from an accredited university in any field.
required elements of the six studio track application
- Online application
- Application fee ($50 for domestic applicants, $75 for international applicants)
- Resume that documents your educational and professional background.
- Statement of purpose
- Three letters of recommendation
- One official copy of your transcript from each institution you have attended EXCEPT study abroad institutions
- Official transcripts should be mailed to the College of Architecture and Planning at the address at the end of this page.
- International students must mail an official certified translated transcript. You do not need to have the transcript evaluated.
- Please feel free to mail transcripts early in the application process.
- You can upload a scan of your transcript to the online application but we still need to receive one official copy.
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores are not required for the Master of Architecture program. They are strongly encouraged if your undergraduate GPA was below a 3.0 on a 4 point scale.
- International applicants must submit proof of English language proficiency. You can view required scores on the Office of International Admissions website.
- Portfolio of creative work
- Your portfolio is not expected to demonstrate architectural skill. The admissions committee is looking for creative potential. You may choose to demonstrate your potential through any creative medium such as painting, sculpture, drawings, objects you have designed and fabricated. If you choose to demonstrate your creative skill through photography, you must demonstrate skill with composition, light, and point of view.
- Your portfolio should be carefully organized to showcase your best work. Take care with how you compose each page and your image sequencing. Chronological is often not the best organizing schema.
- Portfolios should be designed for on-screen viewing. Avoid double page spread layouts.
- If you are a resident of any of the 15 western states in the WICHE-WRGP region (except Colorado), please fill out the WICHE-WRGP section of the online application to be considered for WICHE-WRGP status.
Mailing address for transcripts
University of Colorado Denver
College of Architecture and Planning
PO Box 173364
Campus Box 126
Denver CO 80217-3364
View application instructions for the four studio track M ARCH.