Skip to main content
Sign In

Student Insurance

Frequently Asked Questions


 Basic Insurance Information


 Who do I contact if a I have a claims or billing related question?

The status of your claims can be viewed by logging into MyAccount and selecting the “View Claims” link for the status of both completed and in progress claims. The most recent 120 days of claims status is also available from the UHCSR app. Other claims and billing questions can be directed to UHCSR customer service.

UHCSR Customer Service: 1-800-767-0700



 Who do I contact if I have a question about my coverage under the student health insurance plan?

Your student insurance plan brochure has a list of eligible benefits. It also has a list of things that are not covered in the Exclusions and Limitations section of the brochure. If you would like to ask questions or need information not in the student insurance plan brochure, call the UHCSR Customer Service number: 1-800-767-0700.​


 Where do I go to find out how much a prescription may cost me before getting it filled?

Students enrolled in the student health insurance plan have access to Optum Rx. Optum Rx allows you to view the price of a prescription before you have it filled. To access, visit "View Prescription Plan" in your UHCSR MyAccount and click "Pharmacy Locator."


 Who do I contact if I want to provide feedback or have a concern about the student health insurance plan?

Office of Student Health Insurance

Phone: 303-837-2127



 Why do I need to have insurance?

It is a requirement under the law. All students are required to have some form of health insurance that meets the minimum essential coverage standards of the Affordable Care Act. 

Therefore, all students enrolled in one or more credit hours in a degree-seeking or financial aid eligible certificate program are required ​​to have insurance and are automatically billed for the Student Health Insurance Plan. If you have a comparable insurance plan, you may qualify to waiv​e the Student Health Insurance Plan.​


 What if I already have insurance?

You can waive out of the student insurance plan by filling out an insur​ance waiver. Your personal insurance must meet all the requirements stated on the Enrolling or Waiving Health Insurance page to be approved. Waivers must be submitted each semester before the stated deadlines.





 What is the Office of Student Health Promotion?

The ​​Office of Student Health Promotion also works to strategically create and support a culture of health and wellness across campus. 

The Office of Student Health Promotion welcomes each of you to the University of Colorado Denver - Anschutz Medical Campus. We are looking forward to assisting you in maintaining good health while you achieve your educational goals.​​


 How do I contact the Office of Student Health Promotion?

Phone: 303-724-7674  


Hours are by appointment only​. Please email our office to schedule an appointment. 

Location: CU Anschutz Medical Campus, Education II North, Room #3213

Mailing address:
       CU Anschutz Medical Campus 
       Mail Stop A035
       Education II, North
       Room #3213
       Aurora, CO 80045​





 Who is eligible for late enrollment?

Students who are enrolled in one or more credits in a degree seeking or certain financial aid eligible certificate programs who meet the following criteria are eligible to late enroll in the student health insurance plan:

  • Experienced a qualifying life event and can provide the date and proof of that qualifying life event

  • All proof of qualifying life events must be dated within 30 days of the enrollment date.

*Qualifying Life Events and acceptable documentation are are as follows:

  • Loss of coverage on another plan - Certificate of Credible Cov​erage showing termination date


 What steps do I need to take to apply for late enrollment?

E-mail the Office of Student Health Insurance at or call 303-837-2127. A representative will be able to provide further instructions on the process. 


 Are students automatically enrolled in a student health insurance plan?

All students enrolled in one or more credit hours in a degree-seeking or financial aid eligible certificate program are required to have insurance. As a result, all students taking one or more credit hours are automatically be enrolled in and billed for the Student Health Insurance Plan at the start of the fall and spring semesters. ​​​


 Which certificate programs are eligible for the student health insurance plan?

Please visit Financial Aid Eligible Certificate Programs that Qualify for Student Health Insurance for more information on specific programs. 


 Who is required and/or eligible to have a health insurance plan?

All students enrolled in one or more credit hours in a degree-seeking or financial aid eligible certificate program are required to have insurance.​​​​​


 Who is eligible to have dental health insurance?

All students are eligible to enroll in the dental plan, with the exception of most funded PhD students in the Graduate School who are already provided an alternate plan. 

PhD students on the Anschutz Medical Campus are automatically enrolled in the Anthem BlueCross BlueShield Dental Plan if they are in a qualifying program and enrolled on the student health insurance plan.​​​​​



 Plan Coverage and Cost


 How much will the plan cost?

Please visit the Dates, Deadlines, & Costs page for more information. 


 What are the coverage dates?

Fall 2019: August 1st- December 31st 
Spring/Summer 2020: January 1st- July 31st

 Where do I find a list of providers?

You can find a list of providers on the United Health Care Student Resource page. ​


 When do I pay my premium?

Yo​ur premiums are added to your tuition bill each semester. You will not have a monthly payment due. ​​​​


 How do I authorize Financial Aid to pay my student health insurance charges?

Please visit the “How To” section of the Bursar’s Office website to review how to authorize financial aid to pay all charges.​​


 How do I obtain an insurance card?

An ID Card from UnitedHealthcare StudentResources (UHSR) is available in My Account. Due to UnitedHealhCare StudentResources 'Go Green' effort, a card will not automatically be mailed to you. You will need to take one of the following actions to access your ID Card.

To obtain your ID Card information through the UHSR mobile app:

Download the app, which is available on the Apple App Store and on Google Play. Download it by searching for UHCSR.

To obtain your ID Card information via the My Account website:

Access My Account

Once logged in, you may select "Request Permanent ID Card" or "View or Print ID Card" after clicking the "ID Card Information" link in the left navigation.​​​​​


 How do I access my online account?

Please take a moment to register for My Account.

My Account is a valuable tool to help manage your health care benefits. Once logged in, you can access your plan materials, view important messages, check claims status, submit online forms, update your personal information and learn about your ancillary benefits. You can also find information regarding the new 1095-B tax form and why UnitedHealthCare StudentResources may need your SSN/ITIN number (where applicable).


 How do I submit a claim?

The claims form can be found here

Claims can be mailed to: UnitedHealthcare StudentResources 
P.O. Box 809025 Dallas, TX 75380-9025

The claims submission address is also located on the back of your Insurance ID card. ​​​


 Does this plan cover dependents?

While the Anschutz plan does not offer dependent coverage, we recommend applying for coverage through Medicaid or reviewing plans on the Colorado Healthcare Exchange.





 How do I waive the student health insurance?

You can waive the student health insurance plan by completing and submitting an insurance waiver in the waiver portal. Your personal insurance must meet all the requirements stated under Enrolling or Waiving Health Insurance to be approved. Waivers must be submitted each semester before the stated deadlines. ​​​​​


 When can I waive coverage?

The deadline to apply for a waiver varies by semester. For more specific information, see the Waiving Health Insurance Tab ​


 How often must I fill out a waiver form? ​

The waiver form must be submitted each semester (once for Fall and once for Spring/Summer).​  ​​


 Does my insurance plan qualify to waive the Student Health Insurance?

 I submitted my student health insurance waiver application and it was denied - why did this happen?

In order to waive student health insurance, all of the requirements listed in the waiver portal must be met.


 What options do I have if my student health insurance waiver application is denied?

  1. Talk to your current insurance provider to see if you are able to change your coverage to meet the minimum requirements. 

  2. Plan on enrolling in student health insurance.

  3. Submit an appeal HERE​.


 Once I submit my waiver application and it is approved, when can I expect the charge to come off of my student account?

​It takes up to ten business days for the charge to drop off of your student account after a successful waiver submission. ​10

Office of Student Health

Phone: 303-724-7674

Street Address: Education II, North, Room #3213


© The Regents of the University of Colorado, a body corporate. All rights reserved.

Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. All trademarks are registered property of the University. Used by permission only.