Welcome to the PhD program at the School of Public Affairs! The PhD program requires an intensive commitment of time and effort. It is designed to serve:
- People who seek academic appointments to further the field of public administration, public policy and public management through teaching and research
- Scholar-practitioners working in government, private sector organizations concerned with government and nonprofit organizations
- Policy analysts in government, private sector organizations and nonprofit organizations.
In this program, you will acquire the skills for an expanded
leadership role in public affairs. The program will help you master the
scholarly theory, concepts and research skills required to teach other
practitioners, and provide the skills necessary to research and analyze
complex public sector challenges. As in every SPA program, theory is
closely tied to practice and emphasizes skill development.
Upon completion of the program, you will have demonstrated:
1. The ability to effectively communicate your knowledge and skills orally and in writing;
2. Your ability to formulate and implement a high-quality research design and effectively analyze and communicate the results of your research to your peers and to faculty;
3. Extensive background knowledge and analytical skills in areas relevant to public administration, public management, and public policy, specifically:
- The historical and comparative foundations of public administration
- Contemporary literature, concepts, and theories of public management
- Contemporary literature, concepts, and theories of public policy
- Emerging topics of public administration, policy, and management
- Advanced social science research methods and tools used in public affairs research
Contact Doctoral Program Director, Tanya Heikkilaor SPA@ucdenver.edu for more information.