Skip to main content
Sign In

University of Colorado Denver

School of Public Affairs


Page Subheadline


How do I know who my advisor is?

To find out who your advisors is, look at your admittance letter, or contact the student coordinators' offices at 303-315-2228. 

What if I only want to take a couple of classes?

You may apply as a non-degree seeking student. A $25.00 non-refundable application fee is required. Students in a non-degree status who have a previous degree pay graduate tuition rates. No additional credentials are required. Non-degree students are not eligible for Financial Aid, SPA scholarships, or tuition assistance.

You may take up to nine credit hours under the non-degree status, and these courses may be applied toward the Master of Public Administration (MPA) or the Master of Criminal Justice (MCJ). It is important that non-degree students move forward in a timely manner to complete their applications for admission as degree seeking students. Non-degree status allows admission to our courses while awaiting entrance examination scores, official transcripts, and letters of recommendation. Good planning to complete the application for graduate admission by the deadlines for each semester is necessary to avoid exceeding the hour limit for credit as a non-degree student. The non degree application is available here.

Can I get a certificate without getting a degree?

Yes, you must fill out a non-degree application: a certificate is 15 hours of coursework. Currently we offer graduate certificates in each of our concentrations - Nonprofit Management, Domestic Violence, Environmental Policy, Management & Law, Local Government, Emergency Management & Homeland Security, Public Management, and Homeland Security & Defense. 

Can I take a semester off?

Yes, you can take a semester off. Please keep in mind that students who miss 3 consecutive semesters (including summers) must apply for re-admission which includes a $50.00 readmission fee. 

How do I register for classes?

You can register for classes at

Where can I find a schedule of courses?

You can register for classes at click on the SMART button, then log onto the schedule of courses and schedule planner. 

What is the difference between the MPA, the MPA-Executive Option, and the MPA-Accelerated Option?

The MPA program allows the students to pursue a broad-based course of study in public affairs, management, administration and policy, or select a concentration in nonprofit organizations, local government, domestic violence, or environmental management, and homeland security. Students can choose to complete the MPA degree either on campus or online.

The Executive option within the M.P.A. is an intensive program for senior-level managers of federal, state, and local public agencies and nonprofit organizations, offered in partnership with the federal Office of Personnel Management. The coursework is customized to meet individual students' needs and career objectives, and the format of the classes also is unique and accommodates busy schedules. Students may take courses online, traditional evening courses, or in weekend format. The classes offered by OPM are held in week-long intensives sessions.

The Accelerated option of the M.P.A. program is a fast-paced full-time program. All of the classes meet on the Auraria Campus in downtown Denver. The program is a cohort program in which students proceed through the program in tandem: This enables students to earn a nationally accredited 36-hour M.P.A. in less than a year, and there is a set tuition price of $18,500 for the entire program regardless of in-state or out-of-state status.

Where can I find the course descriptions?

You can find the course descriptions at click on the Academic link, and then click on the current student link, and then select Courses. We also have descriptions of courses under the Academics section of this website. 

How do I find my classroom?

You can find the campus map for the Downtown Campus at click on campus map, under the Auraria Higher Education Link, located in the left-hand side of the home page.

How do I get my email address?

To activate your official email account, visit On this page, select "Student" under DDC in the Accounts Eligibility table. Click on the link under Account Activation and follow the instructions. You will need your Student ID and PIN to activate your account. If you need assistance with managing your email account, call the IT Services Help Desk at 303-315-HELP (4357), or visit the ITS website. | Physical Address: 1380 Lawrence St., Ste. 500  Denver, CO  80204 | Mailing Address: University of Colorado Denver, SPA, Campus Box 142, P.O. Box 173364, Denver, CO 80217-3364 | ph: 303.315.2228 | fax: 303.315.2229 | SPA Website Feedback

University of Colorado Denver

© The Regents of the University of Colorado, a body corporate. All rights reserved.

All trademarks are registered property of the University. Used by permission only.