Within the MPA program we offer on optional accelerated format (AMPA). The accelerated MPA is a fast-paced, full-time program that brings academically superior students together with a dedicated research and teaching faculty in the midst of the vibrant downtown Denver environment.
Benefits of the accelerated option:
- Small class size (classes range from 15 to 29)
- Cohort approach promotes a strong class connection and support system
- Ability to earn an advanced degree in one year's time
- Opportunity to foster close ties with faculty
- One tuition cost for all students regardless of whether the student is classified as in-state or out-of-state. The tuition cost for the 2013-14 cohort is $24,000 for the entire program*
- Opportunity to focus specifically on academic studies for one year (AMPA students are required to work only part time, if at all)
- Opportunity to participate in the many networking opportunities that SPA hosts
The program is not right for everyone. There is much less flexibility in the accelerated option compared to the traditional MPA format. Students in the AMPA program take a prescribed set of 12 courses, rather than a core of six with five electives (and an advanced seminar course) as is available in the traditional format.
Overall, the accelerated option has an emphasis on policy. Students in the accelerated option do not have the option to select a concentration, but instead can choose to emphasize certain areas through their research, capstone project selection, and through internships or other out of the classroom experiences.
* Refunds/Withdrawals - Each term, tuition and fees will be assessed for the MPA, Accelerated Option. Once a student has attended any class in the term, the student will be obligated to pay the full amount for that term.