The Music and Entertainment Industry Studies (MEIS) Department at CU Denver is one of the best contemportary music departments in the U.S. We are also one of the only public universities to offer a contemporary music department. Therefore, our tuittion is lower than most other contemorary programs. Admission to MEIS is selective and competitive. Students with a good academic record (above a 3.0 GPA), a music background, and a passion for the music industry are generally admitted. Students with above a 2.6 GPA are encouraged to apply and unique situations are taken into consideration. The MEIS Department requires supplementary application material in addition to the standard University of Colorado Denver application.
We offer non-audition track programs in Music Business and Recording Arts (complete just requirements one and two below). We also offer audition track programs in Music Business, Recording Arts, Music Performance, and Singer Songwriter (complete all three requirements below). MEIS only admits students for a fall semester start.
A complete MEIS application must include the following:
- CU Denver Application - Applicants must apply to CU Denver through the Admissions Office and be admitted in order to be considered for admission to the MEIS Department. Applicants are encouraged to apply to CU Denver early. CU Denver application information can be found on the Admissions Office website here or by calling the Admissions Office at 303-315-2601.
- Music Theory and Ear Training Assessment Exams - All MEIS applicants must complete the Music Theory and Ear Training Assessment Exams as part of their application to the MEIS Department. Applicants must score at least a 55% on the exam in order to be considered for admission. Please note that a score of 55% or better does not guarantee admission, other criteria is considered. The exam is completed online and is free for applicants. The exam study guide can be found here. Students can take free practice tests on www.musictheory.net. The exam for Fall 2018 MEIS applicants will be available beginning on September 1st. Here is the link directly to the exam: https://canvas.instructure.com/enroll/KTAXYR
- Audition (Only for Audition Track students) - All students applying to the Performance Emphasis, Singer/Songwriter Emphasis, Music Business Emphasis Audition Track, or Recording Arts Emphasis Audition Track must either submit an audition video or conduct a live audition with our faculty by our regular application period deadline of April 1st. Applicants may upload audition videos through the website GetAcceptd.com/ucdenver beginning on September 1st. We encourage applicants to submit audition videos by March 20th at the latest to allow time for our faculty to review them by the April 1st audition track program application deadline. There is a $30 application fee to submit the audition videos. The faculty will review audition videos and contact students about the next steps.
Please click on the link below for complete audition requirements for your instrument:
- Bass - E-mail Sean McGowan to schedule a live audition: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cello - E-mail Evan Shelton to schedule a live audition: email@example.com
- Drum Kit - E-mail Todd Reid to schedule a live audition: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Guitar - E-mail Sean McGowan to schedule a live audition: email@example.com
- Low Brass - E-mail Bron Wright to schedule a live audition: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Percussion - E-mail Tom van Schoick to schedule a live audition: email@example.com
- Piano - E-mail Peter Stoltzman to schedule a live audition: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Singer/Songwriter (only for Singer/Songwriter Emphasis applicants) - E-mail Owen Kortz to schedule a live audtion: email@example.com
- Trumpet - E-mail Missy Steinbock to schedule a live audition: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Violin, Viola - E-mail Gregory Walker to schedule a live audition: email@example.com
- Voice - E-mail Leslie Soich to schedule a live audition: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Woodwind - E-mail Elijah Samuels to schedule a live audition: email@example.com
Live Audition Dates: Audition track applicants may choose whether to submit an audition video or to audition live. Additionally, faculty may request a live audition from an applicant who submits an audition video. Applicants can schedule live auditions with the appropriate faculty member by contacting the faculty area head for an instrument. Live auditions may be conducted by Skype, Facetime, or other online video services for out-of-state students who are unable to visit campus. The live audition dates for Fall 2018 applicants are:
- Friday, December 1st, 2017
- Friday, February 2nd, 2018
- Friday, March 2nd, 2018
- Friday, March 30th, 2018
We will be holding MEIS Open House events on each of the audition dates from 9:00 am-1:00 pm with optional Department Tours between 1:00-3:00 pm. The Open House will consist of a Department overview, a student panal, a faculty/guest artist presentation, and optional music facility tours. Lunch will be provided at noon. Auditioning students can come and go to the Open House as needed to audition. Students and parents can will be able to RSVP for the MEIS Open Houses beginning November 1st (we'll post the link here). RSVP's are required. If you have any questions, please contact Dave Walter at firstname.lastname@example.org or 303-315-7487.
Important Dates and Deadlines:
- December 1, 2017 - One of four possible live audition dates and MEIS Open House event.
- January 1, 2018 - Early Application Period Deadline - Applicants who have been admitted to CU Denver and have submitted all MEIS application requirements by January 1st will be notified of their MEIS admission decision by January 18th.
- February 2, 2018 - One of four possible live audition dates and MEIS Open House event.
- March 2, 2018 - One of four possible live audition dates and MEIS Open House event.
- March 30, 2018 - One of four possible live audition dates and MEIS Open House event.
- April 1st, 2018 - Regular Application Period Deadline - All MEIS applicants who didn't apply during the early application period should try to apply by this deadline. Audition track students must apply by this deadline. All applicants who submit a complete MEIS application by April 1st will be notified of their admission decision by April 20th.
- May 5th, 2018 - Students who are admitted to MEIS during the early or regular application periods must confirm whether they will enroll in MEIS by May 5th. Admitted students can let us know their admission decision by completing this web form. Students who can't make a decision by May 5th, should contact Dave Walter (email@example.com) to request an extension.
- July 1st, 2018 - Late Application Period Deadline - Non-audition track applicants (Music Business or Recording Arts) who didn't apply during by the regular application period deadline, may apply during the late application period (April 2nd - July 1st). Applications received during the late application period will be considered on a space-available basis. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis during the late application period and all applicants will be notified of their MEIS admission status by July 15th.
Important Notes: Applicants are considered for admission to the MEIS Department only after all MEIS application requirements are complete and processed. Applicants applying for the non-audition track programs in Music Business or Recording Arts don't need to audition. MEIS application requirements may be completed in any order. Applicants who apply during the regular application period will be notified of their admission decision on a rolling basis. Our goals is to make admission decisions within three weeks after an application has been completed.
This Fall 2018 Application Requirements Form contains all of the information on this page in a PDF form.
Please contact Dave Walter, Assistant Director of Outreach & Admission, at 303-315-7487 or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.