The CU Denver Music and Entertainment Industry Studies (MEIS) Department is the largest music department in the Rocky Mountain Region. As one of the best of the relatively few contemporary music departments in the U.S., MEIS offers modern focused emphasis programs in Performance, Singer/Songwriter, Music Business, and Recording Arts. As a public university, our tuition is lower than most of the other top contemporary programs in the country making our program a great value.
While admission to MEIS is competitive, students with a good academic record (above a 3.0 GPA), a music background, and a passion for the music industry are generally admitted. Students with above a 2.6 GPA are encouraged to apply and unique situations are taken into consideration. The MEIS Department requires supplementary application material (listed below) in addition to the CU Denver application.
MEIS offers both non-audition track programs (Music Business & Recording Arts) and audition track programs (Music Business, Recording Arts, Music Performance, and Singer/Songwriter). The non-audition track programs are designed for students who hope to work behind-the-scenes in the music industry, while the audition track programs are designed for students who want to master an instrument and have career paths in performance. If applying for a non-audition track program, please complete just requirements one and two below. If applying for an audition track program, please complete all three requirements below.
Application: A complete MEIS application must include the following:
- CU Denver Application - Applicants must apply to CU Denver through the Admissions Office and be admitted in order to be considered for admission to the MEIS Department. Applicants are encouraged to apply to CU Denver early. CU Denver application information can be found on the Admissions Office website here or by calling the Admissions Office at 303-315-2601.
- Music Theory and Ear Training Assessment Exams - All MEIS applicants must complete the Music Theory and Ear Training Assessment Exams as part of their application to the MEIS Department. The exam is basic and is required to ensure that students have a music background prior to entering out program. Applicants must only score at least a 55% on the exam in order to be considered for admission. Please note that a score of 55% or better does not guarantee admission, other criteria is considered. The exam is completed online and is free for applicants. The exam study guide can be found here . Students can take free practice tests on www.musictheory.net . Here is the link directly to our exam: https://canvas.instructure.com/enroll/KTAXYR
- Audition (Only for Audition Track students) - All students applying to the Performance Emphasis, Singer/Songwriter Emphasis, Music Business Emphasis Audition Track, or Recording Arts Emphasis Audition Track must either submit an audition video or conduct a live audition with our faculty by April 1st. Applicants may upload audition videos through the website GetAcceptd.com/ucdenver. There is a $30 application fee to submit the audition videos. The faculty will review audition videos and contact students about the next steps.
Please click on the link below for complete audition requirements for your instrument:
- Bass - E-mail Sean McGowan to schedule a live audition: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cello - E-mail Evan Shelton to schedule a live audition: email@example.com
- Drum Kit - E-mail Todd Reid to schedule a live audition: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Guitar - E-mail Sean McGowan to schedule a live audition: email@example.com
- Low Brass - E-mail Bron Wright to schedule a live audition: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Percussion - E-mail Tom van Schoick to schedule a live audition: email@example.com
- Piano - E-mail Peter Stoltzman to schedule a live audition: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Trumpet - E-mail Missy Steinbock to schedule a live audition: email@example.com
- Violin, Viola - E-mail Gregory Walker to schedule a live audition: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Voice - E-mail Leslie Soich to schedule a live audition: email@example.com
- Woodwind - E-mail Elijah Samuels to schedule a live audition: firstname.lastname@example.org
Singer/Songwriter (Only for Singer/Songwriter Emphasis applicants. Music Business and Recording Arts Audition Track aplicants can not choose singer/songwriter for their instrument.) - E-mail Owen Kortz to schedule a live audtion: email@example.com
Live Audition Dates: Audition track applicants may choose whether to submit an audition video or to audition live. Additionally, faculty may request a live audition from an applicant who submits an audition video. Applicants can schedule live auditions with the appropriate faculty member by contacting the faculty area head for an instrument. Live auditions may be conducted by Skype, Facetime, or other online video services for out-of-state students who are unable to visit campus. The live audition dates for Fall 2018 applicants are:
- Friday, December 1st, 2017
- Friday, February 2nd, 2018
- Friday, March 2nd, 2018
- Friday, March 30th, 2018
We will be holding MEIS Open House events on each of the audition dates from 9:00 am-1:00 pm with optional Department Tours between 1:00-3:00 pm. The Open House will consist of a Department overview, a student panel, a faculty/guest artist presentation, and optional music facility tours. Lunch will be provided at noon. Auditioning students can come and go to the Open House as needed to audition. Students and parents can RSVP for the MEIS Open Houses by completing this form. RSVP's are required. If you have any questions, please contact Dave Walter at firstname.lastname@example.org or 303-315-7487.
Important Dates and Deadlines:
- December 1, 2017 - One of four possible live audition dates and MEIS Open House event.
- January 1, 2018 - Early Application Period Deadline - Applicants who have been admitted to CU Denver and have submitted all MEIS application requirements by January 1st will be notified of their MEIS admission decision by January 18th.
- February 2, 2018 - One of four possible live audition dates and a MEIS Open House event.
- March 2, 2018 - One of four possible live audition dates and a MEIS Open House event.
- March 30, 2018 - The last of four possible live audition dates and a MEIS Open House event.
- April 1st, 2018 - Regular Application Period Deadline - All MEIS applicants who didn't apply during the early application period should try to apply by this deadline. Audition track students must apply by this deadline. All applicants who submit a complete MEIS application by April 1st will be notified of their admission decision by April 20th.
- May 5th, 2018 - Students who are admitted to MEIS during the early or regular application periods must confirm whether they will enroll in MEIS by May 5th. Admitted students can let us know their admission decision by completing this web form. Students who can't make a decision by May 5th, should contact Dave Walter (email@example.com) to request an extension.
- July 1st, 2018 - Late Application Period Deadline - Non-audition track applicants (Music Business or Recording Arts) who didn't apply during by the regular application period deadline, may apply during the late application period (April 2nd - July 1st). Applications received during the late application period will be considered on a space-available basis. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis during the late application period and all applicants will be notified of their MEIS admission status by July 15th.
- MEIS only admits students for a fall semester start.
- Applicants are considered for admission to the MEIS only after all application requirements are complete and processed.
- Applicants applying for the non-audition track programs in Music Business or Recording Arts don't need to audition.
- MEIS application requirements may be completed in any order.
- Applicants who apply during the regular application period (January 2nd - April 1st) will be notified of their admission decision on a rolling basis. Our goals is to make admission decisions within three weeks after an application has been completed.
- Students in MEIS can have a double emphasis (for example: Music Business and Recording Arts). A double emphasis will add coursework and could add an extra semester or year to a student's gratuation time (depending on the emphasis and the number of credit hours per semester a student takes). Please contact Dave Walter (303-315-7487) if you have questions about doing a double emphasis or about choosing an emphasis. A second emphasis can also be added by an advisor at any point once a student is in MEIS.
This Fall 2018 Application Requirements Form contains all of the information on this page in a PDF form.
Please contact Dave Walter, Assistant Director of Outreach & Admission, at 303-315-7487 or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.