1) CAM End-of-year Faculty and Staff Meeting, Friday, May 5, 2017. Tivoli Community Theatre. There will be some social time at Noon, and then a meeting that will begin at 12:30 and end a little after 2:00 pm. The faculty voted to have 2 meetings a semester—so I look forward to seeing all of you.
2) The Denver Silent Film Festival takes place this weekend and is led by Howie Movshovitz. Saturday at 4:00 pm, a CAM student orchestra will accompany a screening of the 1926 classic, “Faust.” Sunday at 3:00 pm, student-made shorts crafted in classes taught by Jessica McGaugh and Jeremy Dehn will be shown. The students are also responsible for incorporating live musical accompaniment into the presentations. This is a terrific showcase opportunity for CAM.
3) CULTIVATION is still running at Republic Plaza and presents an exciting and captivating array of works by CAM faculty artists, alumni and students. Tutti bravi to our CU Denver creators.
4) Jeff Lambson, the new Director of the Emmanuel Gallery has agreed to extend his work to include the coordination and facilitation of the CAM faculty and student work in the Next Stage Collaborative. This will be very helpful in maintaining a vital presence there.
5) Exciting news for all of us in CAM -- Rian Kerrane has been named the CU Denver Campus winner of Excellence in Research and Creative Activities. This is a major honor—as the sciences, liberal arts and other areas usually capture these types of honors. First off, please share congratulations with Rian for this wonderful accomplishment that reflects the recognition of previous winners of this award. Secondly, this reaffirms the airship role that our college has as a unique unit that excels in research, creativity, design, learning, and work in the community that supports and extends the creative economy.
Laurence D. Kaptain, Dean
College of Arts & Media--University of Colorado Denver