Skip to main content
Sign In


College of Architecture and Planning

Here are answers to some frequently asked questions regarding Graduate Admissions.

Q: What should my portfolio look like?
Take a look at Rick Sommerfeld's Architecture Portfolio Design Presentation
Click on the link above to open download a PDF of the presentation.

Q: Can I attend classes part-time?

A: You may attend classes part-time. Five or more semester hours is considered full-time. Half-time is three semester hours. Individual financial aid awards may require more hours to be considered full or part-time.

Q: Do students work while going to school?

A: Students work in a variety of jobs while in school. It may be difficult to hold a 9-5 Monday through Friday job and complete your coursework. On campus jobs are available on a competitive basis. You can view student job postings at Jobs at CU.

Q: Is the GRE required?
A: The only case in which the GRE is required is if you are applying to the Master of Urban and Regional Planning program AND your undergraduate GPA is below a 3.0. In all other cases, the GRE is strongly recommended if your undergraduate GPA is below a 3.0. Please be sure to take the test with ample time for your scores to be reported before the application deadline.

Q: What GRE score does the college require?
A: Quantitative: 145 or better, Verbal: 157 or better, Analytic Writing: 4.5 or better. The test code for CU Denver is 4875.

Q: What TOEFL or IELTS score does the college require?
A: TOEFL: 75 or better on the Internet Based Test with minimum subscores as follows: Reading 15, Listening 15, Speaking 18, Writing 17. Our school code is 4875

IELTS: 6.5 minimum score with 5.5 minimum band scores. 

Q: Can I pay in-state tuition rates if I live outside Colorado?
A: The University of Colorado Denver does allow out of state students to petition a change in their residency status after their first year.

Q: How long does establishing residency take and what is required?
A: Generally, what is required to obtain in-state status is as follows: obtain a Colorado Drivers License, register your vehicle in Colorado, sign a lease or own property in Colorado, and have a bank account in Colorado for one year prior to the start of classes. That means, if classes start on August 15, you move to Colorado on August 10, get your drivers license and so forth immediately. The FOLLOWING academic year, you can petition for a change in residency status.

Q: Is there any particular software that I am required to have on my laptop?

A: Please see our Computer Lab page. 

Q: Do you offer dual degrees?
A: We offer dual degrees in most programs. You can earn a MArch-MURP, MArch-MLA, MLA-MURP. There are also dual degree options with other Colleges such as a MArch-MBA, MURP-JD, MURP-MPA and more. We also offer a dual MLA degree with Tongji University in Shanghai.

Q: What prerequisities are required for the programs?
A: The only program with prerequisites is the MArch. The prerequisites are one college semester of physics and one college semester of trigonometry. If you did not fulfill this prerequisite in the course of your undergraduate education, we offer a summer class for accepted students that covers both topics. Some students choose to take their prerequisites at a local community college before they begin their studies at CU Denver.​​

© The Regents of the University of Colorado, a body corporate. All rights reserved.

Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. All trademarks are registered property of the University. Used by permission only.