The state of Colorado is divided into six AHEC regions and has offices in each of these regions to help students find housing and provide support to local health care initiatives that serve the Colorado AHEC Program’s mission and goals (Colorado AHEC Program website: www.ucdenver.edu/coahec).As part of its core mission, the
Colorado Area Health Education Center (AHEC) Program Office–a part of the
University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus (AMC) –seeks to improve health
care distribution to the State of Colorado State
of Colorado by facilitating housing for clinical rotations greater than 40 miles
(radius) from the CU Anschutz campus. COAHEC
understands preceptors play an important role in the education of health care
professionals, as they allow students to fully prepare for employment through real-world
experiences. It is the intent of COAHEC
housing that students on clinical rotation will be housed within the community
they are located for clinical rotation to facilitate their engagement with the
community and the ability of the community to access them for future
recruitment. Health professions students
from the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus will be given priority
for Colorado AHEC housing. COAHEC does
not discriminate in housing based on race, color, religion, gender, national
origin, age, disability, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity or veteran
General information about rotation housing
- If you will need housing during your rotation you are required to register prior to the start of your rotation. It is strongly recommended that you sign up at least six (6) weeks in advance of your start date to allow sufficient time to find housing for you.
- Colorado AHEC Program cannot guarantee we will find housing for you, especially in mountain towns during peak tourist seasons, but makes every effort to find lodging in a host home or in housing that is owned or leased by the Colorado AHEC Program.
- If host housing has been arranged for you, please contact your host before your start date to confirm your arrival and finalize any special arrangements that may be needed.
- If you cancel or change a rotation you must notify your department coordinator and the regional AHEC student support services housing liaison as soon as possible. If you do not provide timely notice, you may be charged for the housing.
- Colorado AHEC Centers either have apartments/housing that is owned or leased or we find housing for you in private host homes when possible.
- Colorado AHEC Program offers private rooms. Students share kitchens and sometimes bathroom facilities. Laundry services are on your own. Some housing offers washer and dryers. Internet access is noted when available. Phone service may be provided but you must use your own telephone calling card.
- When staying with a host family the rules vary but generally, you will fix your own meals and provide for your own laundry. You will be provided with a private room.
- All students/residents are expected to provide their own linens and toiletries.
- There are no overnight guests, drugs, alcohol, or pets allowed in any AHEC or host housing. Exceptions to these regulations apply only to student-found housing.
Review the official AHEC housing policy (link found on the left side of this page). The student support services housing liaison at each regional AHEC office will contact you with information about your housing about two weeks before your rotation begins. If you have requested housing but have not been contacted by the liaison two weeks before your rotation is scheduled to begin, please contact the regional AHEC office, your department rotation coordinator, or the Colorado AHEC Program office immediately.
Regional AHEC Housing Liaison contact information