Skip to main content
Sign In
Pharmacy students studying

Get Started

Pre-Pharmacy Coursework

Applicants to the University of Colorado School of Pharmacy must complete all prerequisites with a grade of C or higher (C- or below is not acceptable) at a college or university that is accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges or one of its regional affiliates. Applicants must complete all prerequisites by the end of the spring term prior to their first fall term in the School of Pharmacy. Science and Calculus prerequisite course work must have been completed within the last 10 years of the semester in which the applicant intends to enroll. We can offer prerequisites extensions into the summer semester in certain circumstances. In many cases, applicants can be admitted while they are completing the course work in the spring semester but the number of courses in progress may affect the decision of the admissions committee should there not be sufficient course work to evaluate.

View the complete list of Pre-Pharmacy Course requirements​.​​​

Please contact us for more information.

- As of April 2020, the University of Colorado will also accept prerequisite coursework with a Pass grade taken in the spring and summer of 2020.

- As of March 2020, the University of Colorado will accept online prerequisite coursework taken in the spring and summer of 2020. ​​

 Prior Degrees

A previous degree does not exempt applicants from completing the pre-requisite course work. Please see our page on Applicants with Previous Degrees for more information.​


 Coursework from Foreign Institutions

Courses completed at foreign institutions must be evaluated by a professional evaluation service and acceptability of course work will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. For more information, please visit our page on Foreign Transcripts.​​​


 Course Requirements

All pre-pharmacy coursework must be completed with a grade of "C" or better ("C-" or below is not acceptable) at a college or university that is accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges or one of its regional affiliates. Colorado Transfer Guides are available on our website.​


 Ten-Year Policy

Since the pre-pharmacy curriculum is essential in the preparation for pharmacy school, calculus and pre-pharmacy science courses taken more than ten years prior to the fall semester admission is desired must be retaken for a grade unless the applicant's subsequent academic or work experiences relate directly to the coursework. Requests for a waiver of this policy must be submitted in writing; all requests will be handled on an individual basis. Please email​ to obtain the waiver request form for courses over ten years old.​​​



All transcripts must be submitted to PharmCAS regardless of the age or transferability of courses. The admissions committee considers all coursework completed and derives a cumulative GPA from all colleges and universities attended. Failure to reveal all transcripts will result in disqualification. Once admitted, official transcripts from all previous colleges and universities (including other University of Colorado campuses) attended must be submitted directly to the School of Pharmacy. All transcripts must be received in a sealed envelope from the institution. Updated official transcripts must be provided as soon as each subsequent term is completed.​


 Advanced Placement Credit

Advanced placement credit is based on the College Entrance Examination Board's Advanced Placement tests. AP and IB credits can be used to fulfill pre-requisite requirements. If your college transcript does not show the credit or the type of credit earned, you will need to request a copy of your test scores to be sent directly to our office.​​​​


 College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

We do not accept CLEP, ACT, SAT, department exams or any other credit by examination in lieu of the pre-pharmacy course work.​


 Online Courses

Science labs, with the exception of the Physiology Lab, and public speaking courses must be taken in person to receive prerequisite credit. All other courses may be taken online. See the Pre-Pharmacy Course List​ for more information regarding which courses may be taken online.​


 Quarter Unit Credits versus Semester Credit Hours

If you attend a school on the quarter unit system, please multiply your earned hours by .667 to determine its equivalency in semester hours. Please note that for math and science courses, two semester requirements, such as General Chemistry I & II w/labs, are fulfilled by three quarters, or General Chemistry I, II and III w/labs. One semester course requirements, such as biochemistry, are fulfilled by two quarters, or biochemistry I and II.​