Skip to main content
Sign In


Know your rights and responsibilities.

​At ​CU Denver, we are committed to ensuring you are well informed about our policies and your rights.

 Academic Freedom

Academic freedom and diverse viewpoints are highly valued at the University of Colorado Denver. The laws of the Board of Regents of the University of Colorado specify that:

  1. "The University of Colorado was created and is maintained to afford men and women a liberal education in the several branches of literature, arts, sciences, and the professions. These aims can be achieved only in that atmosphere of free inquiry and discussion, which has become a tradition of universities and is called "academic freedom.... Within the bounds of this definition, academic freedom requires that members of the faculty must have complete freedom to study, to learn, to do research, and to communicate the results of these pursuits to others. The students likewise must have freedom of study and discussion. The fullest exposure to conflicting opinions is the best insurance against error.... All members of the academic community have a responsibility to protect the university as a forum for the free expression of ideas." Laws of the Regents 5.D.
  2. "By enrolling as a student in the university, a person shall assume obligations of performance and behavior established by the university relevant to its lawful missions, processes, and functions. As members of the academic community, students have responsibility, equivalent to that of the faculty, for study, learning, academic integrity, and protecting the university as a forum for the free expression of ideas." Laws of the Regents 7B.
  3. "All students shall have the same fundamental rights to equal respect, due process, and judgment of them based solely on factors demonstrably related to performance and expectations as students. All students share equally the obligations to perform their duties and exercise judgments of others in accordance with the basic standards of fairness, equity, and inquiry that should always guide education." Laws of the Regents 10.

How to address my concerns

Process for grade issues

Student follows grade appeal process or student grievance process in the home school or college.

  1. Discuss concerns with the faculty member
  2. If the issue is not resolved after a conversation with the faculty member, discuss concerns with the department chair
  3. If the issue is not resolved after a conversation with the department chair, discuss concerns with the associate dean

Student Right to Know and Campus Security Act

In compliance with the Federal Crime Awareness and Campus Security Act (Clery Act) of 1990 and the Higher Education Amendments of 1992 and 1998, we have collected and published information related to campus crime.

Members of the university community are encouraged to report any incident of threatening or harmful behavior to the administrator closest to the situation and/or the Auraria Campus Police 303-556-2222 and Anschutz Medical Campus Police 303-724-4444. Other resources include the Ombuds Office at 303-556-4493 and the Office of Human Resources at 303-556-2868.​


 Email Policy

E-mail is an official means of communication for students at the CU Denver. All official university e-mail will be sent to each student’s assigned a CU Denver e-mail address.

CU Denver will only use CU Denver student e-mail accounts if it elects to send e-mail communications to students. CU Denver e-mail accounts are available through IT Services. Students are responsible for reading e-mails received from CU Denver.

The purpose of this requirement is to:

  1. Ensure students receive information timely
  2. Eliminate identity concerns related to student communications received by CU Denver via e-mail. CU Denver is not responsible for mail forwarded from CU Denver student e-mail accounts

Effects of new policy

The university will only use your CU Denver-assigned e-mail account for e-mail communications. Faculty and administration will use your official CU Denver-assigned addresses when corresponding with you via e-mail. Examples of important CU Denver communications that you may receive through your official e-mail address include:

  • Invitations to register
  • Responses to your inquiries about registration, admissions, records and financial aid
  • Information and authorization/verification requests for College Opportunity Fund, legal presence issues
  • Messages from faculty regarding course work
  • Notices of scholarship, educational and financial aid opportunities and deadlines

It is expected that official e-mail will be read by students in a timely fashion.

E-mail address format

UC Denver-assigned student e-mail addresses have the following format:


Note: Students must follow the activation procedure below to activate their account and obtain their exact address.

Activating your official e-mail

To activate your official e-mail account, follow the instuctions after selecting your affliated campus below:

Denver Campus

The Anschutz Medical Campus

​ ​​


 Proof of Lawful U.S. Presence

In July 2006 the Colorado State Legislature enacted HB 06S-1023, which became effective on August 1, 2006. The legislation requires all citizens who apply for state-funded benefits that entail any payment or financial assistance provide proof that they are lawfully present in the United States.

Some of these benefits that are provided at the University of Colorado include in-state tuition, the College Opportunity Fund, some types of institutional and state-sponsored financial aid and any other benefits for which there is an application, excluding any employment benefits.

What you need to do

Please present in person one of these identification documents and complete the required affidavit form in our office. If you are unable to present one of these types of documentation, please read and follow the waiver process below.

For additional questions please view our Frequently Asked Questions (pdf) document or contact us.

Waiver process

A first-time applicant or applicant seeking to reapply for public benefits on or after August 1, 2006, and before March 1, 2007, may demonstrate lawful presence by both executing the affidavit required in §24-76.5-103(4)(b) C.R.S. and being verfied with an electronic identification indicator (EII).

3.1.1. Applicants who quallify for this EII process are those who:

  • due to chronic health or medical condition, lacks sufficient mobility to appear in person to apply for a Colorado driver’s license or identification card,
  • due to lack of a permanent physical address in Colorado, does not qualify for a Colorado driver’s license or identification card, or
  • may lack sufficient documentation to receive a Colorado driver’s license or identification card.

This would include students from the following states where the driver’s license is not one of the accepted state credentials:  Alaska, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Washington and Wisconsin.

Note that UC Denver will follow-up with the Department of Revenue (DOR) to make certain their form has been accepted as a waiver.  If not, the student will be out of compliance.  At this time, we are unsure of the lag time for the DOR to complete the waiver process.

NOTE:  Students from one of the states noted above may apply for a Colorado driver's license or Colorado ID, but they must then relinquish their ID from the other state.  This is important information for students in their decision about whether to go to the Driver's License Bureau to get a Colorado driver's license.

If you are unable to physically present these documents

Downtown Campus students

Please contact us at 303.315.2600, and we will guide you through this process.

Anschutz Medical Campus students

Please contact us at 303.724.8059, and we will guide you through this process.​​​​


 To Withdraw from CU Denver

To withdraw from the University of Colorado Denver, students must drop all courses for the semester. Prior to census (see current academic calendar for census date), students must use the web registration system to drop courses. Courses dropped during this period are not recorded on the student's permanent record.

After census date (see current academic calendar for census date), through the 10th week (fourth week for summer) students must submit a withdrawal form with the approval of the dean and the Office of Financial Aid (if receiving aid). Courses dropped during this period will be recorded on the student's permanent record with a grade of W.

Students seeking to withdraw after the 10th week (fourth week for summer) must petition the associate dean of their school or college. A student who stops attending classes without officially withdrawing from the university will receive grades of F for all course work during that term.

Deadlines for dropping module and intensive courses appear in the student portal.4

Student Privacy

FERPA deals specifically with the education records of students, affording them certain rights with respect to those records. For purposes of definition, education records are those records which are:

  1. Directly related to a student and
  2. Maintained by an institution or a party acting for the institution.

FERPA gives students who reach the age of 18 or who attend a post secondary institution the right to inspect and review their own education records. Furthermore, the right to request amendment of records and to have some control over the disclosure of personally identifiable information from these records, shift from the parent to the students at this time.
FERPA applies to the education records of persons who are or have been in attendance in post secondary institutions, including students in cooperative and correspondence study programs, video conference, satellite, internet or other electronic forms. FERPA does not apply to records of applicants for admission who are denied acceptance or, if accepted, do not attend an institution.

Notice of Student Rights Under the Family Educational and Privacy Rights Act of 1974 (FERPA)

As a student at the University of Colorado Denver, you have certain rights concerning your education records under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). These rights include:

  1. The right to inspect and review the student's education records within 45 days of the day that the university receives a request for access. Students should submit to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department or other appropriate official, written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. The university official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the university official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  2. The right to request the amendment of the student's education records that the student believes are inaccurate or misleading. Students may ask the university to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate or misleading. They should write the university official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading. If the university decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the university will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.
  3. The right to consent to disclosure of personally identifiable information contained in the student's education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. One exception which permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the university in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the university has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Regents; or a student serving on an official committee, or assisting another school official in interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility. Upon request, the university discloses education records without consent to officials of another school, in which a student seeks or intends to enroll.
  4. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the University of Colorado Denver to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is:

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202-5920

FERPA generally requires the University to obtain your consent prior to disclosing your education records or personally identifiable information contained in your records. One exception, which permits disclosure without your consent, is information about you that the University has designated as “directory information.” The following items are designated "directory information" and may be released at the discretion of the University of Colorado unless a student files a request to prevent their disclosure: 

  • name
  • address, telephone number, and e-mail address
  • dates of attendance
  • registration status
  • class (i.e. freshman, sophomore, junior, senior)
  • major
  • awards
  • honors
  • degrees conferred
  • photos

Although these items are designated by CU Denver as directory information, only a limited amount of this information is routinely disclosed by CU Denver officials and the University retains the discretion to refuse to disclose directory information if it believes such disclosure would be an infringement of your privacy rights.

Forms to prevent disclosure of directory information can be obtained at the Registrar's Office in the Student Commons Building - Room 5005, or via the Registrar’s website at Questions regarding your rights under FERPA should be directed to the Registrar's Office:

CU Denver:
Phone: 303.315.2600
Fax: 303.315.2550
CU Anschutz Medical Campus:
Phone: 303.724.8059
Fax: 303.724.8060
Definition - Education Record

Those records directly related to a student and maintained by the institution or by a party acting for the institution are considered education records. The term "education records" does not include the following:

  1. Records of instructional, supervisory, administrative, and certain educational information that is in the sole possession of the maker thereof, and are not accessible or revealed to any other individual except a substitute who performs on a temporary basis (as defined in the institutional personnel policy) the duties of the individual who made the records.
  2. Records maintained by a law enforcement unit of the educational agency or institution that were created by that law enforcement unit for the purpose of law enforcement.
  3. Records relating to individuals who are employed by the institution, which are made and maintained in the normal course of business, relate exclusively to individuals in their capacity as employees, and are not available for use for any other purpose. Records of individuals who are employed as a result of their status as students (for example, work study students) are education records.
  4. Records relating to a student which are:
    • Created or maintained by a physician, psychiatrist, psychologist, or other recognized professional or paraprofessional, acting in his/her professional capacity or assisting in a paraprofessional capacity or assisting in a paraprofessional capacity.
    • Used solely in connection with the provision of treatment to the student.
    • Not disclosed to anyone other than individuals providing such treatment.
Definition of Legitimate Educational Interest

This means the demonstrated need to know by those officials of an institution who act in the student's educational interest, including faculty, administration, student employees, clerical and professional employees, and other persons who manage student records information.

Any school official who needs information about a student in the course of performing instructional, supervisory, advisory, or administrative duties for the University of Colorado Denver has a legitimate educational interest.

This includes contractors, consultants, volunteers and other outside providers used by the University of Colorado Denver, such as the University of Colorado Foundation and the National Student Clearinghouse.

Directory Information
Nondisclosure of Directory Information
Exceptions to Student Consent for Release of Educational Records
Release of Disciplinary Information
FERPA - Concerns for Student Behavior, Health and Safety
Requests for Access to and Amendment of Education Records
Parental Access to Children's Education Records
Posting of Grades by Faculty
Students' Rights After Ceasing Attendance or Graduating
References for Students by Faculty
Written Consent
Disposal of Student Educational Records
Policy Reference Links