The University Biosafety Committee provides review and approval of all recombinant DNA research,
including Human Gene Transfer clinical trials, and review and approval of all Select Agents Research.
Protocols are reviewed and overseen for compliance with the National Institute of Health (NIH) Guidelines
and Federal Select Agents Regulations.
IBC Compliance Note: NIH Guidelines
The IBC meets monthly to review to and approve Biosafety Applications.
Responsibilities of the IBC
- Review and approval of research involving recombinant DNA materials, including transgenic animals, plants and Human Subjects Gene Transfer clinical trials for regulatory compliance, safety, and containment of biological materials.
- Review and approval of Biosafety Authorization Forms for work with infectious biological materials for regulatory compliance, safety, and containment of biological materials.
- Review and approval of Biosafety Authorization Forms for all work with Select Agents Toxins for regulatory compliance, safety, and containment of SA materials.
- Incident Reporting and Investigations for incidents involving infectious or recombinant DNA materials.
Biosafety Authorization Forms
Any new or renewal IBC application submitted after 12:00pm on 2 April, 2018 must be entered in the eSirius system- word files will not be accepted for new/renewal applications after that time. For amendments, please contact the IBC office for amendment instructions or with any questions regarding the application process.
- The new eSirius system can be accessed here. Before attempting to submit an IBC protocol, please review this document regarding the process of accessing & starting a new protocol in eSirius- IBC eSirius- accessing system & starting IBC
- Submit an Appendix A for Permissible Quantity of Select Agent Toxins SA Toxin Application Form-App A.doc
- Submit an Appendix T for work involving whole animals or transgenic animals: Appendix T- Whole animal/transgenic animal work
- Amend an existing Biosafety Authorization Form (Revisions 9-13)
- For clinical trials including Human Gene Transfer trials or live vaccine trials, please submit one of the following forms.