Skip to main content
Sign In

University of Colorado Denver

Environmental Health and Safety

Ship or Receive Hazardous Materials

Environmental Health & Safety

Receive Hazardous Materials


Inbound shipments of radioactive materials are regulated by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE), and more specifically, by the conditions stipulated in the UCD Radioactive Materials License. The UCD Radioactive Materials License requires that the Radiation Safety Officer exercise a priori approval authority for all acquisitions of radioactive materials. All inbound shipments of radioactive materials must be pre-approved by the Radiation Safety Office. For more information, refer to section 2.2, 3.23, and appendix I of the UCD Radiation Safety Manual or contact the Radiation Safety Office at (303) 724-0345.


If you are receiving biological materials from colleagues or other scientists, particularly if they are infectious to humans or animals or plants, determine:


Ship Hazardous Materials

Outbound shipment of biological, chemical, or radioactive materials is regulated by the US Department of Transportation (DOT) and the International Air Transportation Association (IATA). Research-related transfers are also subject to other criteria, and may require completion of a Materials Transfer Agreement before shipping.


Please notify the Biosafety Office when shipping biological materials by email or fax.


EHS Hazardous Materials division must be contacted by email​ prior to shipping chemicals.  Failure to do so may result in regulatory penalties. 


Environmental Health and Safety provides assistance in completing the various requirements for shipping radioactive materials. State and Federal regulations require a set of specific packaging, labeling, marking, shipping papers, radiation measurements, and other precautions. For more information, please refer to section 3.2.9 of the UCD Radiation Safety Manual or contact the Radiation Safety Office at (303) 724-0345.​