Accrediting and funding agencies require EHS to review all agents used in animal experiments to identify potential occupational hazards, and prescribe appropriate waste disposal methods. Based on the review, EHS makes recommendations to IACUC, which has the final authority on SOP approval.
The form developed by EHS for this review includes a means to determine whether a particular agent requires an SOP, based on its category (listed below), and method of administration.
See the Chemical Database for Vivarium SOPs to determine category of agent being used, from among these possibilities.
- Environmental (ecological) hazard
- Pharmaceutical with acute toxicity
- Pharmaceutical without acute toxicity
- Non-hazardous (includes antibodies)
NOTE: Follow these steps to successfully download an SOP.
2. Open the saved file to complete the SOP.
- Right click on the desired SOP link (under FORMS, below).
- If using Microsoft Edge, choose "Save target as"
- If using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox, choose "Save link as..."