LABCOATS is a competitive, NIH-funded UC Denver Program designed to help high achieving students who love science embark on biomedical research careers. The goal of the grant is to increase the diversity of students pursuing PhDs and MD/PhDs in biomedical research by supporting those who are traditionally underrepresented in science. LABCOATS supports both undergraduate and graduate students.
Participants in LABCOATS:
- develop the skills necessary to succeed in college and graduate school.
- prepare for advanced careers in biomedical research.
- work with leading researchers in diverse fields of study.
- discover new career options.
- receive assistance in preparing successful graduate school applications or pre-doctoral research grants.
For more information about what LABCOATS students do, download the Activity Matrix.
General Eligibility Requirements
Participants are selected on the basis of academic achievement and interest in biomedical research. Applicants must demonstrate aptitude in one or more laboratory science courses, but previous research experience is not required for undergraduates. Other requirements include:
- full-time enrollment in the University of Colorado Denver
- U.S. citizenship or permanent residency status
- high GPA (Freshman: 3.0, Sophomore: 3.2, Junior: 3.4, Senior: 3.5, Graduate Student: 3.0)