Skip to main content
Sign In

Claim Credit

How to get credit for AP, IB and other programs

Credit may be considered for Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB) and College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) examinations upon receipt of official score reports. Credit awards are for programs completed entirely at the Denver Campus; the Anschutz Medical Campus has different AP, IB and CLEP credit award and prerequisite policies.

Credit award and score report information

The University of Colorado Denver utilizes the Advanced Placement (AP) Program, as a way to allow incoming students to gain college credit for lower-level courses and advanced standing in those areas, as they are offered by the University. In order to qualify for AP credits, students must have received scores of 3, 4, or 5 on the Advanced Placement Examination. 

Sub-scores are not available (except for Calculus BC and Music Theory) nor are scores analyzed to determine strengths and weaknesses.

New students at The University of Colorado Denver who have not earned advanced placement credits can still earn university credit for some lower-level courses by taking examinations in areas in which they have demonstrated college-level proficiency. The College Level Examination Program (CLEP) offers a testing service for this specific purpose and has been a valuable tool for assessing and awarding of college credit.

Any student admitted to a University of Colorado campus after June 30, 2003, who has graduated from high school having successfully completed an International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma program with a minimum score of 4 on each exam, shall be granted a minimum of 24 semester hours of college credit. Schools and colleges may grant credit for individual IB courses, even if a student has not successfully completed an IB diploma program.

Credit for college courses while in high school

If you are in high school and wish to apply to take college courses through CU Denver, check out postsecondary enrollment options or high school concurrent enrollment options.

Through our popular CU-Succeed programs, CU Denver courses are taught on-site at high schools.

If you completed college courses outside of the University of Colorado while enrolled in high school, credit can be considered in transfer. Request that an official transcript be sent directly from your college or university to the Office of Admissions at the address below. If you completed college courses in high school through any campus of the University of Colorado, a transcript is not required.

Credit for military experience

Military service experiences and DANTES/DSST examination results can also be evaluated for potential academic credit. Submit the SMART transcript and/or official examination results to the Office of Admissions at the address below.

Office of Admissions mailing address:

University of Colorado Denver
Office of Admissions
Campus Box 167
PO Box 173364
Denver, CO 80217-3364

Questions? 303-315-2601 or​​

CU Denver

1201 Larimer Street
Denver, Colorado

Map it

CU Anschutz
Medical Campus

13001 E. 17th Place
Aurora, Colorado

Map it

CU South Denver

10035 S. Peoria Street
Lone Tree, Colorado

Map it


© The Regents of the University of Colorado, a body corporate. All rights reserved.

Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. All trademarks are registered property of the University. Used by permission only.