HIPAA Training Guidelines
All members of the UCD community with access to individually identifiable health information need to be "hip to HIPAA" - the federal law that requires us to protect patient confidentiality. Listed below are UCD's HIPAA education requirements and training options.
HIPAA Regulations: Our General HIPAA Course
HIPAA training is mandatory for most of the UCD workforce. You are required to take training unless your unit has been notified otherwise by the campus Privacy Officer. As a faculty member, employee, student, trainee, or volunteer faculty member (who bills through UPI) of the UCD, you must complete HIPAA training within 30 days of your hire date for new employees.
Non-HIPAA Departments at the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus:
Non-HIPAA Departments at the University of Colorado Downtown Campus:
Our online course can be accessed at the My.Cu.Edu portal and can be completed in about an hour. If you are paid by UCD, use your regular login and password. If you need help obtaining your login and password, call (303) 72H-IPAA or e-mail HIPAA@ucdenver.edu.
Affiliates: If you are located at or rotate through The Children's Hospital, Denver Health, National Jewish, University Physicians, Inc., or University of Colorado Hospital, you may take that institution's HIPAA 101 training instead of ours. We have all agreed to accept training taken at any of the affiliated institutions.
If you spend even 30 minutes at the VA in the course of a year and have access to protected health information, you must complete the VA's training and will not be given credit by the VA for training taken at another institution We’re not accepting the VA training anymore b/c they can’t do certificates.
Our Advanced HIPAA Course for Human Subjects Research
UCD's HIPAA education course for human subjects researchers is now available online at www.citiprogram.org. COMIRB requires that all investigators on COMIRB-approved protocols complete the course by September 30, 2004. Investigators who do not complete the course successfully by this deadline will be removed by COMIRB from their protocols and will not be allowed to submit new protocols.
UCD employees who are not investigators may also take the HIPAA research course. While the course is only required for COMIRB investigators, all faculty, staff, and students involved in human subjects research are strongly encouraged to complete the course.
Online Basic Training
Access Procedures for HIPAA Regulations:
SkillSoft - CU Learning Center
Directions to access SkillSoft
2. Click MY.TRAINING
3. Click, Click here for SkillSoft - CU Learning Center (This opens a separate window for SkillSoft.)
4. Click Catalog
5. Click University of Colorado - Courses
6. Select HIPAA
7. Click the HIPAA Regulations or [Launch]
ACCESS HIPAA RESEARCH COURSE: CITI Health Information Privacy and Security (HIPS)
If your research project involves a hospital or clinic that is subject to the HIPAA privacy and security regulations then you will also need to complete the CITI Health Information Privacy and Security training:
2. Select 'University of Colorado Denver' as your Institution.
3. Register with your username and password.
4. You will be presented with a series of questions or options to enable you to enroll in the Learner Group appropriate to your interests or role in research.
5. Select CITI Health Information Privacy and Security (HIPS) Basic Course
6. On the Main Menu page, select Enter or Re-Enter to begin or continue the Course.
7. You need to complete all of the Required Modules and 2 of the Elective Modules
8. When you have completed the course, click on Main Menu. If you did not pass the course, you may return to any of the modules and re-take any of the Quizzes.
9. Print out the Completion Certificate through the link: “Print” in the Learner’s menu to keep for your files. A copy will be sent automatically to COMIRB.