Skip to main content
Navigate Up
Sign In

University of Colorado Denver

Environmental Health and Safety, University of Colorado Denver

Shipping and Receiving Hazardous Materials

Receiving Hazardous Materials

Inbound Shipments

Inbound shipments of certain materials are regulated by federal or state agencies, and certain University policies.

Inbound shipments of radioactive materials are regulated by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE), and more specifically, by the conditions stipulated in the UCD Radioactive Materials License. The UCD Radioactive Materials License requires that the Radiation Safety Officer exercise a priori approval authority for all acquisitions of radioactive materials. All inbound shipments of radioactive materials must be pre-approved by the Radiation Safety Office. For more information, refer to section 2.2, 3.23, and appendix I of the UCD Radiation Safety Manual or contact the Radiation Safety Office at (303) 724-0345.

Inbound Shipments of Biological Materials

If you are receiving biological materials from colleagues or other scientists, particularly if they are infectious to humans or animals or plants, determine:

Shipping Regulated Materials

The outbound shipment of biological, chemical, or radioactive materials is an activity that is regulated by both the U.S. Department of Transportation and the International Air Transportation Association. Research related transfers are also subject to other criteria and you may need to obtain a Materials Transfer Agreement before you ship.

EHS maintains a 24-hour emergency response service contract with ChemTrec on behalf of University entities for outgoing shipments of Dangerous Goods. Contact EHS for further instructions on how to use this emergency response service.

Shipping Biological Materials

Please notify the Biosafety Office when shipping biological materials by email or fax.

Shipping Hazardous Chemicals

The following link provides detailed information for labeling, packaging, and classification of outgoing hazardous materials.

Often you need to ship a chemical or chemical containing material in such small quantities that it is considered exempt or "Limited Quantity" and is therefore not subject to the complete burden of regulatory requirements. If you have questions about shipping chemicals, materials or equipment that contain chemicals, or preserved samples, contact the Environmental Health & Safety Department (303) 724-0345 or email either Jerman Lopez or Victor Martinez for assistance.

Shipping Radioactive Materials

Environmental Health and Safety provides assistance in completing the various requirements for shipping radioactive materials. State and Federal regulations require a set of specific packaging, labeling, marking, shipping papers, radiation measurements, and other precautions. For more information, please refer to section 3.2.9 of the UCD Radiation Safety Manual or contact the Radiation Safety Office at (303) 724-0345.

University of Colorado Denver

© The Regents of the University of Colorado, a body corporate. All rights reserved.

All trademarks are registered property of the University. Used by permission only.