The student selection criteria are as follows:
A. Eligibility- Students MUST:
- Attend a target high school
- Be a first generation college bound student (neither of whose natural or adoptive parent(s) received a baccalaureate degree)
- Have a minimum of a 2.5 cumulative grade point (GPA). Freshman
students who have not yet acquired a GPA, but meet the other criteria
are encouraged to apply.
In addition, the student MUST also meet one or more of the following requirements:
- Be a member of a one parent family;
- Be the eldest in the family; or
- Have a desire to continue their education beyond high school.
B. Participant responsibilities
The program is committed to providing its students every opportunity to develop their academic skills to succeed in high school and gain entrance into an institution of higher education. However, students will receive full benefit from their experiences and fulfill their educational potential only to the extent that they commit themselves to the goals of the program and actively participate in its activities. Therefore, participants are expected to:
- Commit themselves to active participation in the program for the duration of their high school years;
- Attend and involve themselves fully in all program sponsored activities. Tenth and eleventh graders are required to participate in the two-week and five-week summer academic program on the CU Denver campus respectively;
- Follow a college preparatory curriculum as prescribed by the program staff and high school liaison;
- Cooperate with the program's staff in all program related matters.