Sustainability has risen to the top of CEO agendas around the world, according to the Boston Consulting Group. Companies are increasingly expected to reduce the negative impact of their activities on both the natural and social environment in which they work while still earning an adequate return for their shareholders and investors. Moreover, leading edge organizations have discovered that a carefully crafted sustainability-based strategy can be a major driver of reduced operating cost, new markets and revenue streams, increased customer lyalty and improved financial performance. The Business School at CU Denver believes that every aspiring business leader requires a solid grounding in the principles of sustainable business and is one of the few in the country that is educating students on sustainable management in all aspects of business. Students complete the sustainability specialization in the Professional MBA, MS in Marketing or MS in Management and Organization degree.
The specialized curriculum examines multiple facets of sustainability:
- Sustainable finance and accounting
- Corporate social responsibility
- Social entrepreneurship
- Green marketing strategy
- Carbon and climate management
- The role of social investing in fostering sustainable communities and sound environmental practices
- Business ethics
- Measuring and tracking the triple bottom line (people, planet, profits)
- Sustainability and eco-efficiency as sources of competitive advantage
- Methods of calculating the life cycle and ROI of new ventures
Students may choose to take classes online. Internships and field projects give students opportunities to work on actual sustainable business scenarios while expanding their professional networks.
The Business School has created an educational opportunity for both those looking to break into the sustainability profession itself as well as those keen to understand how the growing importance of sustainability will affect their chosen career path. Recent graduates have gone on to launch successful green management consulting practices. Some others have parlayed their expertise into global assignments with major U.S. corporations. It’s a pioneering program that prepares students for leadership roles in an arena that is growing fast. The ability to understand how the challenges and opportunities associated with sustainability influence business strategy is a critical skill for success in today’s global markets.
Get more information on the Managing for Sustainability program available in:
The MBA with Managing for Sustainability Specialization
There are two parts to an MBA with a specialization in Managing for Sustainability.
- Your MBA Core Courses which give you the breadth of an MBA degree.
- You will utilize 12 of your electives for Managing for Sustainability specialization courses which give you tools for an Managing for Sustainability career.
The Managing for Sustainability specialization may include courses in subjects such as:
- Managing for Sustainability
- Business Ethics & Corporate Social Responsibility
- Sustainable Business Opportunity
- Accounting & Finance for Sustainability
- Business and the Natural Environment
- Marketing and Sustainability
- Supply Chain Management
- Sustainable Management Research
- Global Climate Change
- Exploring Social Entrepreneurship
- Social Entrepreneurship in the Developing World
- Sustainable Business/Corporate Social Responsibility
For more details, please schedule an appointment with an advisor.