Principal Investigator: Lisa Maier, MD, MSPH
The Beryllium BioBank Specimen Core Laboratory (SCL), based at National Jewish Health, is the repository for all biological specimens collected for the BioBank.
The SCL will be responsible for developing the standardized procedures to be used in obtaining the lung tissue from biopsies, peripheral blood for blood cell pellet cryopreservation, BALF, BAL cells for cell pellet cryopreservation. This includes supplying tissue collection kits and appropriate shipping instructions for the Clinical Centers, receipt of all specimens.
- Responsible for developing the standardized procedures to be used to obtain lung tissue from biopsies, peripheral blood for blood cell pellet cryopreservation, BALF, BAL cells and cell pellet cryopreservation.
- Collects and stores biological specimens sent from the BBB Clinical Centers
- Stores all specimens in a repository for future distribution to researchers.
- Maintains records, regarding the number, volume, quality and location of all specimens collected and stored.
Genetics and Plasma Core Laboratory
Principal Investigator: Milt Rossman, MD
The Beryllium BioBank Genetics and Plasma Core Laboratory (GPCL), based at the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, is responsible for all plasma and DNA processing for the Beryllium BioBank.
The DNA core laboratory is responsible for processing of blood products procured for plasma and the isolation and purification of DNA. This includes supplying tissue collection kits and appropriate shipping instructions for the Clinical Centers, receipt of blood collected for plasma and DNA extraction, division and cataloging of specimens, and short-term storage of specimens. At the end of the collection period, the GPCL is responsible for shipping of specimens to NJH, the long-term storage facility.
- Develops standardized procedures for obtaining and processing blood specimens for plasma collection and storage
- DNA isolation and plasma separation & aliquoting
- DNA and plasma quality assurance
- Short-term specimen storage
- Specimen shipping to NJH at the completion of collection phase.