Kathryn Mueller, MD, MPH
Dr. Mueller’s career began as a board certified emergency medicine physician and in that capacity she served first as an EMS medical director in south Chicago and then for the state of Colorado. Her specialty shifted when she became board certified in occupational and environmental medicine, which she practiced clinically at the University of Colorado. She has held the positions of President of the Rocky Mountain Academy of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Vice President and Secretary–Treasurer for the American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, and as a Board of Director for both organizations. From 2002-2007, she served as Residency Director for the occupational medicine residency at the CU School of Medicine.
In May 2014, Dr. Mueller was named President of the American College of Occupational Health and Environmental Medicine (ACOEM), the nation's largest association representing occupational and environmental physicians.
An expert in disability management, she also serves as the Medical Director for the Division of Workers Compensation in Colorado, a post she has held since 1992. In this position she's worked to develop evidence based guidelines which are used in this state and several others as a basis for care for work-related injuries. Dr. Mueller also directs the state workers compensation accreditation program for physicians.
She was one of the six section editors for the AMA Guidelines for the Evaluation of Permanent Impairment 6th edition, and has numerous publications relating to interstate variation of practice in workers compensation, use of practice guidelines, and impairment rating.
- Evidence based guidelines for work-related musculoskeletal disorders
- Disability assessment and impairment rating
- Undergraduate Education: University of Nebraska, Lincoln, NE
- Medical Education:University of Nebraska Medical School, Omaha, NE
- Internship:General Surgery Creighton University School of Medicine, Omaha, NE
- Residency:Emergency Medicine Christ Hospital, Oak Lawn, IL
- Masters in Public Health: Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI