Skip to main content
Sign In

College of Liberal Arts and Sciences

Courses & Grades

Minimum GPA

To maintain satisfactory academic progress, advance to candidacy, and earn a graduate degree, students are required to maintain a minimum GPA of “B” (3.00) for all graduate courses taken while in Graduate School, which includes any undergraduate (i.e., 4000 level) courses that may be required for the graduate degree. Failure to maintain a 3.00 GPA will result in the student being placed on academic probation. Courses in which grades below “B-” (2.7) are received may not be applied toward fulfillment of the requirements for any graduate (PhD or Master’s) degree. Courses required by the degree-granting program in which the student receives a grade below B- must be retaken in order to achieve a B- or better grade. However, all grades received, including repeat courses, will appear on the student’s transcript and will be included in the GPA calculation, but only one course enrollment may be counted towards graduation credits.

Grades received in transferred courses and grades earned while a student was classified as a non-degree student are not included in calculations of the GPA, although the credit earned is applied to the program requirements.


If, at any time, a student’s cumulative graduate grade point average (GPA) after matriculation falls below 3.00 (some graduate programs may require that a higher GPA be maintained) the student will be placed on academic probation. Probationary students have two semesters if they are enrolled as a full time student or four semesters if part time, in which to raise their cumulative GPA to a 3.00 (or greater if required by the program) for removal from academic probation. In addition, a minimum GPA of 3.00 (or greater if required by the program) must be maintained in each probationary term. Students who fail to meet the conditions of probation are subject to dismissal from the Graduate School. Any student who is dismissed from the Graduate School following unsuccessful academic probation or failure to meet his or her program’s guidelines for satisfactory academic progress may reapply for admission to the same or a different graduate program after one year. The student should consult with the program director before applying.

Incomplete Grades

When a student has special circumstances that make it impossible to complete course assignments, faculty members have discretion to award an incomplete grade (I) to allow the student a full year (or less if stipulated) to complete the work for a grade. Incomplete grades are not awarded for poor academic performance or as a way of extending assignment deadlines. While not required, a CLAS course completion agreement form (available from the CLAS Advising Office) is strongly suggested when faculty and student agree on an incomplete grade. Once the work is completed, the faculty member teaching the course must submit a Change of Record form to change the grade. If the work is not completed within one year, the I grade will automatically revert to an F.
To be eligible for an incomplete grade, students must:

  • have successfully completed 75 percent of the course
  • have special circumstances (verification may be required) that preclude the student from attending class and completing graded assignments
  • make arrangements to complete missing assignments with the original instructor

Continuing and Professional Education Credits

Students may use courses offered through continuing and professional education programs in individual schools and colleges in the pursuit of graduate study only if they obtain proper academic approval from the graduate program.

Independent Study Credits

Students must be admitted to a CLAS degree program, with a minimum GPA of 3.0, to be eligible to take independent study credits. Graduate students may take up to a total of 6 (or 20% of the total for programs requiring more than 30 credit hours) independent study credits under the direct supervision of a faculty member and with the approval of the CLAS graduate dean. However, it is important that students check with their programs concerning the maximum number of independent study credit hours that may count toward their degree, as this number may vary. Each independent study project may be taken for 1-3 credits. Students use the special processing form to outline the project and how the grade is determined, which then must be approved by the supervising faculty member and CLAS graduate dean.

Internship Credits

Graduate-level internship credit may be earned in some programs. Students must be admitted to a CLAS degree program, have completed a minimum of 6 semester hours, and have a minimum 3.0 GPA. A maximum of 6 hours of internship credit is allowed, except where specified by the program (i.e., nonthesis clinical psychology). To register for an internship other than those in clinical psychology, contact the Experiential Learning Center: Tivoli Student Union, Suite 260; Phone 303-556-6656