This year, over 80 percent of new college graduates will have completed one or more internships or co-ops. Don’t put yourself at a disadvantage – get an internship or co-op before you graduate! Internships are helpful in giving you insight into your chosen field/career by allowing you to apply concepts learned in the classroom to real-world experiences. Not only will you network and build relationships, but you will gain exposure to on-the-job issues while obtaining work-related references.
Internships vs. Co-ops
Internships are paid or unpaid work experiences for which you earn academic credit that are intentionally designed to tie together your academic program with a position in your chosen career field or area of interest.
Co-ops are paid practical work experiences related to your field of study that complement your academic training while promoting career development.
- You are currently enrolled in a UCD degree or certificate program
- You have completed a minimum of 15 credit hours at UCD
- You have at least a sophomore standing
- All CLAS internships receive letter grades
- CLAS students can earn a total of 6 credits of internship credit toward their degree
- Minimum GPA - 2.75 for internships
- Minimum GPA - 2.0 for co-ops
- Learning Agreements are required for all internships and co-ops
For more information about CLAS internship requirements by major, please visit the Experiential Learning Center’s web site.