Skip to main content
Sign In

College of Liberal Arts and Sciences

Degree Planning

Transferring Courses from Other Institutions

Coursework taken at any regionally accredited institution of higher education will be considered for transfer credit on the basis of content similarity. Statewide guaranteed  transfer courses (GT Pathways) are always accepted, and can apply to core or major requirements.  The following types of courses are NOT accepted for transfer credit:

  • Developmental
  • Remedial
  • Vocational
  • Technical
  • Religious Doctrinal
  • Orientation
  • Independent Study
  • Special Topics
  • Cooperative Education

Grade Requirements for Transferred Courses

Only courses in which a grade of C- or better was earned are considered for transfer. Courses in which a grade of Pass (P) was earned are considered for transfer only if a grade of Pass at the sending institution is defined as a C- or better. Students wishing to appeal transfer credit decisions should contact their CLAS Academic Advisor.

How the Transfer Process Works

After all official transcripts have been received and the student is admitted, the Office of Admissions will prepare a transfer credit report indicating which courses have been accepted in transfer by CU Denver. Information about accessing the transfer credit report online will be sent to the student from the admissions office along with the acceptance letter.  Upon review of the transfer credit report, students should contact their academic advising office to schedule an appointment to meet with an advisor. The student’s Academic Advisor will help determine how the transfer credit applies to specific degree requirements.

Age of Academic Courses Eligible for Transfer

The Office of Admissions considers course work for transfer regardless of the age of the academic credit. State guaranteed general education courses will be accepted in transfer and applied to graduation requirements for a period of at least 10 years after course completion. However, individual academic departments may have specific guidelines and policies about age of credit for courses not listed as "state guaranteed". The academic department makes the final decision about application of credit toward a degree program. Students are expected to have current, working knowledge of course content regardless of when prerequisite courses were taken.

Transfer Credit Limits

A maximum of 60 semester hours is acceptable in transfer from community or junior colleges.  A maximum of 90 semester hours is acceptable from four-year institutions or a combination of two- and four-year institutions.


In compliance with Colorado's Statewide Transfer Policy, students may transfer credit from a Colorado Community College on a course-by-course basis or by completing an Associate of Arts (AA) or Associate of Science (AS) degree. Students who complete an AA/AS degree may be guaranteed full transfer of the associate degree (60 credits maximum) and may be eligible for completion of a BA/BS degree in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences with 60 additional credits at UCD. This guaranteed transfer program is referred to as the "60 plus 60" transfer program.

The 60+60 program applies only to students who began Colorado Community College studies in Fall 2003 or later and who meet the following requirements:

  • Complete an AA/AS degree, which includes 31-35 credits of gt pathways state-guaranteed general education courses.
  • Earn credit only at Colorado Community Colleges within the last 10 years.
  • Earn a grade of C- or better in each course.
  • Follow the Downtown Denver campus transfer guide, which lists required courses to be taken as part of the AA/AS degree.
  • Declare a major in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (changes of major and/or completion of professional prerequisites or minors are not included in this program).

Please contact the Transfer Admissions office for more information.