The PhD Program in Applied Mathematics provides comprehensive training in applied mathematics and/or statistics. In addition to coursework, students engage in cutting-edge research in close collaboration with internationally recognized scholars. The department faculty work in a broad range of concentration areas including:
- Machine learning and Big data
- Computational mathematics
- Computational biology
- Discrete mathematics
- Uncertainty quantification
- Mathematics education
- Numerical analysis
- Optimization and Operations research
- Probability and Statistics
- Data assimilation and Inverse problems
The faculty research involves applications in areas including genomics and precision medicine, wildfire modeling, storm surge, and nuclear fusion.
These strengths make our students highly marketable for careers in industry as well as in academia.
Scholarships and assistantships for graduate students are available and awarded competitively.