APPLICATION DEADLINE: JANUARY 20, 2016
Requirements for Admission
A baccalaureate degree in one of the natural/physical sciences or engineering (or equivalent background) is required for admission into the environmental science master's program. In addition, the minimum undergraduate science and math requirements for admission are:
- one semester of calculus
- two semesters general chemistry with lab
- one semester physics
- two semesters of general biology with lab
- one semester of upper division statistics (if the applicant is missing the statistics course, he/she can be admitted but must take ENVS 5600, Applied Statistics, as an elective before receiving the MS in Environmental Sciences degree)
If only two prerequisite courses are lacking, an applicant may be admitted but must successfully complete the prerequisites in his/her first year in the program. If the prerequisite courses are not completed in the first year, the student will be disenrolled from the program. Some of the core or elective courses offered in the program may require additional prerequisite courses. The prerequisites will not be counted towards the MS degree. Applicants who have fulfilled all of the prerequisites have a better chance of acceptance into the program.
The University of Colorado Denver has a minimum requirement of 2.50 undergraduate grade point average (GPA) for applicants to the graduate school. The number of applicants admitted to the MS in Environmental Sciences Program in any semester depends, in part, on space availability. The program is very competitive; the average GPA of recently admitted students is well over 3.0. Notification of acceptance or refusal for admission into the environmental science master's program is mailed to the applicant four to six weeks after the deadline for submission of the applications.
We accept applications once per year, on January 20th, for admission in the following fall.
Click here to apply online
As part of the admission review process, applicants are required to submit:
- a graduate application
- a minimum of three letters of recommendation (academic references are preferred)
- official transcripts from all institutions previously attended
- general Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores (recommended for all; required for applicants with less than a 3.0 grade-point average)
All materials not collected by online application portal are to be sent to the Graduate School, not the GES department.
University of Colorado Denver Graduate School
Campus Box 163, P.O.Box 173364
Denver, CO 80217-3364
International students should obtain current admissions or apply online: International.