The graduate admissions process is selective and personal—you apply directly to the department you are considering. We will guide and assist you with understanding and completing the application requirements, and also notify you of your admission status.
We know the admissions process can sometimes seem complicated, so if you have questions about the admissions process that are difficult to answer, we encourage you to contact us anytime.
Applicants for a master's degree in English must submit all application materials by the deadlines as follows:
|Target Enrollment Term
||Deadline for Completed Application|
Complete applications must include the following:
- A completed application from the Graduate School office on the Downtown Denver Campus. Submit an application online: Domestic and International.
- Two copies of all graduate and undergraduate transcripts, and for any nondegree courses previously taken.
- Three letters of recommendation, in which the recommender specifically addresses the candidate’s ability to pursue successfully the program chosen (forms for recommendation letters are available with the online application).
- The Graduate Record Exam, including the analytical, verbal and quantitative portions. Graduate Record Examination score average should be 600 or higher. Analytical writing score should be four or higher. The English Literature subject test is not required.
- Evidence of a 3.0 grade point average in previous courses.
- A one-page statement of purpose in which the applicant carefully describes reasons and motivation for pursuing the program chosen, and career aspirations upon completing the degree.
- A critical writing sample of approximately 10 pages in length.
- Please mail any materials that cannot be submitted online to: Graduate School University of Colorado Denver Attention: Marissa Tornatore Campus Box 163, 1380 Lawrence Street Suite 1250, P.O. Box 173364 Denver CO 80217-3364 and note that they are for the MA in English.
Applicants for the MA in English Literature Program must have successfully completed 24 semester hours in English courses (graduate or undergraduate), excluding courses in composition, creative writing or speech. At least 16 of these semester hours must be at the upper division level.
Transfer of Credits from Other CU Campuses
Students admitted to graduate study in English may complete all of their course requirements for the MA degree at UC Denver. Up to nine credits may be transferred from the CU-Boulder, UCCS or other graduate program; however, such transfer requires the written approval of the specific program coordinator. Further, work already applied toward a graduate degree received at the University of Colorado or at another institution cannot be transferred toward another graduate degree of the same level at UC Denver.
For other rules concerning transfer of graduate credits, see the Downtown Denver Campus Graduate School Rules or contact Michelle Comstock, Graduate Director, at 303-556-8479.