Skip to main content
Sign In




This page summarizes the graduation requirements for a minor in chemistry from the University of Colorado Denver Departmentof Chemistry. The minor is open to all students, and should be beneficial for science majors, pre-professional health science majors, and students seeking science education certification. The objective of the chemistry minor is to provide broad, introductory coursework and laboratory experience in chemistry without the more technical mathematical and chemical prerequisites required of the chemistry major.

Students with specific questions concerning the chemistry minor not addressed in this document should contact the Chemistry Advisor (see advising page). 

Requirements for the Minor

The CU Denver Chemistry Department requires a minimum of 24 semester hours of chemistry courses to obtain a minor. The department has a residency requirement as well as a restriction on the Pass/Fail grading option. To satisfy the CU Denver chemistry minor requirements, a student must have:

  • a minimum of 24 semester hours of chemistry courses
  • a minimum of 15 upper division hours of chemistry
  • a minimum 2.0 GPA for chemistry courses taken at CU Denver
  • all chemistry minor courses taken for a letter grade rather than on the Pass/Fail grading option
  • No grade below C- (1.7) may be aplied towards a inor in chemistry
  • a minimum of 9 upper division hours of chemistry taken at CU Denver (Downtown campus)

Chemistry Courses for the Minor

All upper division chemistry courses at CU Denver will satisfy course work requirements for the minor. Furthermore, the Chemistry Department offers courses that have minimum chemistry and mathematics prerequisites and should be considered for the chemistry minor degree.

Required Courses
Choose two upper-division electives from the following
  • CHEM 3011 – Inorganic Chemistry (3 hours)
  • CHEM 3111 – Analytical Chemistry (3 hours)
  • CHEM 3810 – Biochemistry (4 hours) OR
    CHEM 4810 – General Biochemistry I (3 hours)*
  •  CHEM 4511 -  Physical Chemistry: Quantum Mechanics (3 hours)
  •  CHEM 4521 – Physical Chemistry: Thermodynamics (3 hours)
  •  CHEM 4700 – Environmental Chemistry (3 hours)
  •  CHEM 4840 – Directed Research (at least 3 hours)
  •  CHEM 5310 – Advanced Organic Chemistry (4 hours)
  •  CHEM 5010 – Advanced Inorganic Chemistry (4 hours)
  •  CHEM 5110 – Advanced Analytical Chemistry (4 hours)


*Only one biochemistry course may count towards the minor.  Nonmajors wishing to focus in biochemistry should consult the requirements for the Biochemistry Certificate program.

Choose one upper-division laboratory course from the following:

  • CHEM 3018 – Inorganic Chemistry Lab (2 hours)

  • CHEM 3118 – Analytical Chemistry Lab (2 hours)

  • CHEM 3418 – Organic Chemistry Lab I (1 hour)

  • CHEM 3488 – Honors Organic Chemistry Lab I (2 hours)

  • CHEM 4828 – Biochemistry Lab (2 hours)

To register your Minor in Chemistry, please visit the CLAS advising office NC4002. After establishing your minor status, you are encouraged to meet with a Chemistry Advisor.