This page summarizes the graduation requirements for a minor in chemistry from the University of Colorado Denver Departmentof Chemistry. The minor is open to all students, and should be beneficial for science majors, pre-professional health science majors, and students seeking science education certification. The objective of the chemistry minor is to provide broad, introductory coursework and laboratory experience in chemistry without the more technical mathematical and chemical prerequisites required of the chemistry major.
Students with specific questions concerning the chemistry minor not addressed in this document should contact the Chemistry Advisor according to your last name (see advising page).
Requirements for the Minor
The UC Denver Chemistry Department requires a minimum of 20 semester hours of chemistry courses to obtain a minor. The department has a residency requirement as well as a restriction on the Pass/Fail grading option. To satisfy the UC Denver chemistry minor requirements, a student must have:
- a minimum of 20 semester hours of chemistry courses
- a minimum of 10 upper division hours of chemistry
- upper division course work in at least three of the six disciplines which comprise chemistry: analytical, biochemistry, inorganic, organic, physical and environmental chemistry
- a minimum of 7 upper division hours of chemistry taken at UC Denver
- a minimum 2.0 GPA for chemistry courses taken at UC Denver
- all chemistry minor courses taken for a letter grade rather than on the Pass/Fail grading option
Chemistry Courses for the Minor
All upper division chemistry courses at UC Denver will satisfy course work requirements for the minor. Furthermore, the Chemistry Department offers courses that have minimum chemistry and mathematics prerequisites and should be considered for the chemistry minor degree.
CHEM 3111-3, Analytical Chemistry, prereq. CHEM 2061
CHEM 3118-1, Analytical Chem Laboratory, coreq. CHEM 3111
CHEM 3810-4, Biochemistry, prereq. CHEM 3421, or 3410; prereq. BIOL 2061
- CHEM 3411-4, Organic Chemistry I, prereq. CHEM 2061
- CHEM 3418-1, Organic Chemistry Lab I, coreq. CHEM 3411
- CHEM 3421-4, Organic Chemistry II, prereq. CHEM 3411
- CHEM 3428-1, Organic Chemistry Lab II, coreq. CHEM 3421
- CHEM 3498-2, Honors Organic Chemistry Lab, coreq. CHEM 3421
CHEM 3011-3, Inorganic Chemistry , prereq. or coreq. CHEM 3421
- CHEM 4700-3, Environmental Chemistry, prereq
- CHEM 3111 or 3411
To register your Minor in Chemistry, please visit the CLAS advising office NC4002. After establishing your minor status, you are encouraged to meet with a Chemistry Advisor.