The following criteria must be met for consideration for admission to the Biology Master of Science program:
- A BA/BS from an accredited institution awarded within the last 10 years (validation of current content may be required).
- Minimum undergraduate GPA: 3.0
- General GRE test: minimum 50% performance in each section (verbal, quantitative, and analytical writing). GRE scores must be sent directly to the University by the GRE testing service. GRE test cannot be substituted by any other testing, i.e. MCAT or DAT scores
- Subject GRE test: not required
- Declared area of specialization that coincides with a Master of Science Program Faculty member's area of expertise
Prerequisite courses required:
- Two semesters of general biology (lecture and laboratory)
- Two semesters of any combination of chemical, physical or mathematical sciences
- One semester of applied or biological statistics
- Additional prerequisite requirements may be set by individual faculty. If you are interested in working with a particular faculty member(s), please contact the faculty member to learn of any additional requirements.
Identifying an Area of Specialization
A required aspect of the application for the Biology Master of Science program is the identification of an area of specialization. All students must declare an area of specialization to emphasize in both their research and coursework while in the Biology Master of Science program. Areas of specialization available to students correspond with the expertise of Master of Science Program Faculty
. Note that the research by Biology Master of Science Program Faculty may not satisfy the interests of all students. As such, the Biology Master of Science program may not be able to meet all students’ needs.
Students interested in applying to the Biology Master of Science program should refer to the research profiles of the Master of Science Program Faculty
. Upon review, the student should identify a faculty member(s) with expertise in the student’s desired area of specialization. The student should then contact the faculty member of interest to pursue opportunities for joining his/her program. All students must have an invitation to apply to a given faculty member’s program PRIOR to application to the Biology Master of Science program.