Narrative Writing for Middle School Teachers
January 24, 2015-May 23, 2015
Meeting Dates: 1/24, 2/21, 3/21, 4/18, 5/23
Times: 10:00 AM– 12:00 PM
This five-week workshop is designed for middle school teachers of writing in any content area. The focus will be on Narrative Writing. We will look at alignment with State Standards. Participants will explore a different type of narrative each session and will have opportunities to discuss other successful ideas for teaching narrative.
- Dates: 1/24, 2/21, 3/21, 4/18, 5/23
- Time: 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM
- Location: CU Denver, Auraria Campus: Plaza Mezzanine Room 204
- Stipend for Participation: We will provide a $100 stipend to participants who attend all five meetings.
- Materials: A copy of Mentor Authors, Mentor Texts by Ralph Fletcher is included with registration.
- Credit: DWP will provide a certificate for completion of 10 hours of Professional Development
- Register: https://www.regonline.com/narrativewritingformiddleschoolteachers
- More Info: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 303-556-8394
Rocky Mountain National Park / Stanley Hotel Retreat for Teachers
Location: The Stanley Hotel: Estes park, CO
Dates: April 24th and 25th, 2015
Use personal technology devices to document and explore issues of social and environmental justice.
Description: The DWP Tech team will be hosting a Rocky Mountain National Park/Stanley Hotel Retreat April 24th and 25th, 2014. We’ll use BYOT (Bring your own Technology) devices (cell phones, tablets, etc.) to document our work on a National Park Service project and a guided tour with a local historian.
We’ll create model texts of social and environmental advocacy for our students, which we’ll share at the end of the retreat.
The goal of the retreat is to collaborate using the Common Core Literacy and Next Gen Science standards in order to help students see how they can employ technology to create authentic texts for authentic audiences and become agents of change.
Location: The Stanley Hotel: Estes park, CO
- Certificate for 10 hours of professional development available.
- Online registration fee (includes double-occupancy accommodations): TBA
Exploring the Writing Workshop for Primary Teachers : Kindergarten through 2nd Grade
Meeting Dates: 9/20, 10/18, 11/15, 1/10, 2/7, 3/7, and 4/11
This seven-week workshop is designed for teachers new to the profession or new to the primary grade levels who want to establish a writing workshop in their classrooms. Participants will meet monthly throughout the academic year and explore:
- Setting up a writing workshop for your class at the beginning of the year
- Designing units of study that align with CCSS
- Exploring the latest research on writing for our youngest writers
- Using mentor texts and building a collection of mentor text titles
- Looking at student work
- Assessing student writing
Times: 9:30- 11:30am
Where: CU Denver, Auraria Campus: King Center Room 208
Stipend for Participation: We will provide a $200 stipend to participants who attend six out of seven meetings.
Materials: A copy of About The Authors: Writing Workshop With Our Youngest Authors by Katie Wood Ray is included with registration.
Credit: DWP will provide a certificate for completion of 14 hours of Professional Development
Registration is Full
Reading, Writing, and Visual Art - A Day at the Museums
February 28th, 2015
This is a two-part event that focuses on the connection between reading, writing, and visual art. You may attend the morning, afternoon, or both.
Those who register for both the morning and the afternoon session will receive a certificate valid for five hours of professional development. Those who register for one session will receive a certificate for two or three hours of professional development (depending on which session they attend).
Reading Visuals: Clyfford Still Museum Walk
Our morning session is sponsored by a grant from the Clyfford Still Museum and therefore registration is free. (However, space is limited to 20 people.)
We’ll meet at the Clyfford Still Museum, a single artist museum, dedicated to the life’s work of Clyfford Still, the artist who is credited with laying the groundwork for the Abstract-Expressionist movement. This setting is bound to inspire your inner writer to some creative expression.
Where: 1250 Bannock Street, Denver, CO, 80204
When: Saturday, February 28, 2015 from 9:00 to 11:00 AM
Registration Fee: Free – includes a 2 hour professional development certificate
Register today: https://www.regonline.com/clyffordstillmuseumwalk
More Info: Email: email@example.com or call 303-556-8394
Writing from Visuals: Denver Art Museum
Our afternoon session is sponsored in partnership with the Colorado Language Arts Society and will take place at the Denver Art Museum. The registration fee of $25.00 will cover the cost of entering the museum, meeting space, and a wide variety of techniques for reading visuals and writing from visuals.
Sponsored in Partnership with the Colorado Language Arts Society (CLAS)
We’ll meet in the lobby first to distribute entrance tickets, then proceed to a lecture room to write into the day and practice some writing activities. The rest of the afternoon will consist of a writing marathon throughout the museum, and we will close out the day by sharing some of our writing in the museum’s lecture room.
Where: 100 West 14th Avenue Parkway, Denver, CO 80204
When: Saturday, February 28, 2015 from 12:00 to 3:00 AM
Registration Fee: $25 includes museum admission and a 3 hour professional development certificate
Register today: https://www.regonline.com/writingfromvisualinspiration
DWP’s 14th Annual Advanced Institute
June 8th-12th, 2015
Please feel free to invite colleagues and friends to attend these events. You don’t have to be a DWP teacher to participate in our programs.
DWP’s Annual Invitational Summer Institute
June 8th-26th, 2015
- Days/Times: Monday through Friday from 9AM to 4PM
- Location : CU Denver, Auraria Campus
- Small stipend will be offered for participation ($300.00).
- Graduate Credit (up to six credit hours) is available (and optional) at CU Denver tuition rates.
- More Information: Visit the Summer-Institute page.
- Applications are due by February 28th. Applicants will be contacted in March.
DWP's 4th Annual TechMatters Institute