DWP Young Writers Camps for the Summer of 2015
Camp 1: Auraria Young Writers Camp
**Attention Young Writers!**
Do you love to write? Are you a budding poet,
flourishing story writer, or even future famous author? Would you like
to write in a relaxed, social atmosphere? If so, join us for Young
Writers Camp at CU-Denver’s scenic Auraria Campus! Spend a fun-filled
week of your summer with other young writers exploring and developing
your own creative writing abilities. Who knows whom you’ll meet and what
you’ll write? The only way to find out is to register today.
- Where: Our main Young Writers Camp takes place on the scenic Auraria Campus in Denver, Colorado.
- Who: Students going into 4th-12th Grades.
- What: Spend five days with other kids and teens (Grades 4-12) who love to write and want to improve their craft.
- When: June 8-12th, 2015 from 9:00am - 3:00pm
- Teachers: Our camps are facilitated by licensed Colorado classroom teachers including Joe Dillon, Shannon Hanschen, Molly Robbins, Linda Chase, Andrea Modica, Tiffany Schaab, and Sarah Woodard.
- Tuition: $190 per student **Partial scholarships available based on evidence of financial need. We offer a 10% discount to 2 or more registrants paying with the same card.
- Secure Registration: Register Now
- Please register early. Our camps tend to reach capacity.
Our 2015 guest writers will be announced soon. Stay tuned.
2014 Guest Writers
Participants will be divided into writing groups by grade level.
Writers Workshop I
Grades 4-8: This camp is designed for the pre-teen writer who is passionate about writing and wants to meet other young writers who share their interests. Participants will engage in daily writing challenges and activities designed to help them transfer their ideas into exciting pieces of writing. Each young writer will be able to write in small groups and individually with the guidance of a camp writing instructor. Each day will focus on a different genre of writing. Young writers will also interact with published and professional writers in age appropriate writing workshops. By the end of camp, each young writer will have several well-developed pieces.
Writers Workshop II
Grades 9-12: Writers Workshop is geared toward teen writers who are interested in enriching their writing lives and experiences. Participants are expected to bring one or two pieces of writing that they would like to share in a writer’s group and workshop. The goal is to have one or two polished pieces by the end of the week. Writers will focus on various genres of writing using activities and exercises to broaden their writing experiences. Teen writers also will have the opportunity to participate in daily writing workshops with guest writers from the Denver community. Writers also love to read! Teen writers will partake in discussions about what they are reading, recommend books, and discuss shorter pieces of writing throughout the week.