Skip to main content
Sign In

Anschutz Medical Campus

University of Colorado Denver

Name and Record Update

The University of Colorado's Anschutz Medical Campus classifies a student's legal name as their primary name, which is associated with official records and accounts. In general, offices that work with federal regulations, licensing entities, insurance companies, financial institutions, and/or law enforcement agencies are required to use your primary name.

 Where Your Primary Name is Used

Your primary name appears in official university systems and records, including, but not limited to:
  • Official academic transcripts
  • Diplomas
  • Enrollment and degree verifications
  • Billing and financial aid records (including Colorado Opportunity Fund (COF)
  • Insurance records (including Student Health)
  • Military and Veteran's services
  • Passport names for international students
  • Most student screens in Campus Solutions (CU-SIS)

 How to Change Your Primary Name

​Complete a Name Change and Record Update Request Form, and provide supporting legal documentation to the Office of the Registrar. Documented proof of legal name change (e.g. marriage license, divorce decree, etc.) can include your driver's license, military ID, birth certificate, or court documentation that provides proof of the name change.

Original completed forms should be delivered to the Office of the Registrar either in person or by mail; electronic, faxed, or photocopied versions are NOT accepted.


 Preferred Name

​The Anschutz Medical Campus strives to be an inclusive community, and recognizes students may wish to be identified by a name other than their primary (legal) name. Students may thus designate a preferred first and/or middle name with the university. A preferred name may be a nickname, middle name, professional name, anglicized name, or name more closely associated with the student's gender identity.
Where technically and legally feasible, preferred names are displayed instead of primary (legal) names in university systems and records, and are used to identify students in the classroom and other places on campus. Your primary name may be required for official documented business needs (e.g. financial aid, tax forms, health insurance records, etc.). Systems that rely on data stored in enterprise systems should be updated regularly to reflect the most current name information.

 Where Your Preferred Name Appears

​​After designating a preferred name through UCDAccess, your preferred name automatically appears in the following university systems and records without additional required action: 4

 How to Change Your Preferred Name

  1. ​Log into UCDAccess to add, delete, or edit a preferred first and/or middle name.
  2. Access the Student Center, and navigate to the Personal Information section. Click on Names.
  3. Type your new preferred name in the field provided.
No documentation is required to designate a preferred name. Last names may only be updated through the official primary name change process with supporting legal documentation.
The university reserves the right to remove any preferred name that is deemed inappropriate, derogatory, or misrepresentative (i.e. student is attempting to avoid legal obligations or confuse their identity with that of another). Students may be subject to disciplinary action in accordance with their program's Student Code of Conduct or the Office of Equity.