Skip to main content
Sign In

Bachelor's Program FAQs

Have a question about the College of Nursing undergraduate program - traditional and accelerated (UCAN) pathways? Review our frequently asked questions below to find the answer.​​

 Why should I earn my BS in nursing degree?

The bachelor of science degree provides the opportunity for students to become registered nurses and advance their careers in nursing and nursing leadership.​​


 Why should I consider a nursing program at the University of Colorado?

The College of Nursing, founded in 1898, created the country’s first school nurse programs and the first nurse practitioner programs in the world. Faculty in the advanced practice specialty options maintain clinical practices and are certified in their areas. The college touts the use of innovative multi-disciplinary curriculum, numerous national rankings, and real-world experience through multiple clinical placements. In addition, the program employs teaching and clinical instruction supplemented by simulation technology.​​


 Which programs are available for students seeking a Bachelor of Science in nursing?

Applicants with or without a previous bachelor’s degree may apply for the Traditional Pathway option, which is 24 months in length. Students must have 60 semester hours of transferable coursework completed or in progress, including specific courses from 16 prerequisite areas. Beginning with the summer 2019 cohort, this program will be primarily offered at the Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora. However, Traditional Pathway students may be required to attend classes or labs at the CU South Denver location in Lone Tree. Please see the program's requirements for specifics.​​​

Applicants with a previous bachelor’s degree may apply for the Traditional (24 months) or UCAN (accelerated 12-month) program. Beginning with the spring 2020 cohort, the UCAN program will be primarily based at the CU South Denver location in Lone Tree. However, UCAN students may be required to attend classes or labs at the Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora.

Applicants with an associate degree in nursing (ADN) – see the nursing web site and contact an admissions specialist at 303-724-1812 for further information. Admissions requirements for the RN-BS program are unique and different from those for the Traditional and UCAN programs.​


 How much does it cost?

Please vist the Tuition & Funding page for current tuition and fees.​​​​


 How do I establish residency to receive in-state tuition?

Please see the Registrar’s Residency page for more information.​​​​​​​​​


 Can I receive financial assistance?

Yes. Numerous scholarships are awarded to new and continuing students by the College of Nursing and outside organizations. You will want to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Contact the Financial Aid Office on the Anschutz Medical Campus at 303.724.8039 located in Education 2 North, 3rd Floor. ​​​​​


 How competitive is the admission process?

The selection process is very competitive. Every applicant is different. On average, we have a 25% acceptance rate.​​


 What is considered in the admission process?

Evaluation committees make decisions based on the following: the prerequisite grade point average (minimum 3.0 required), the cumulative GPA (based on all previous course attempts), the essay which consists of three questions, letters of reference, an interview, the CASPer evaluation and healthcare experience (for UCAN only).​


 Is there a time limit for prerequisites?

Yes. Courses more than 10 years old, based on the application deadline, are not applicable. Electives are exempt from this rule.​​


 How do I know if my prerequisites will transfer?

You will find most Colorado schools with preapproved course numbers for most courses on our transfer credit page. Those with no course numbers have many choices. If your school is not listed under the Transfer guides, please review prerequisite content expectations and contact an undergraduate academic advisor if you have any questions.;


 What is the minimum GPA?

Minimum 3.0 prerequisite GPA is required. This GPA includes the highest grade attempts for courses included on transcripts at the time of application. Suggested cumulative GPA of 3.0 based on all previous course attempts. Please contact a member of our admissions team if you have questions.​


 What are the essay requirements?

Yes. Essay requirements are outlined on the admisions page for the program of your choice.


 Is there an interview?

Yes. Selected applicants will be invited to complete the interview process for the Traditional and UCAN pathways. Please review the application deadline page for more information about tentative interview dates.​​​


 Is there a wait list for the program?

We do use a wait list between the time we make initial admissions decisions and the start of each program. However, the wait list does not carry from cycle to cycle. If you are wait listed but not offered admission and are interested in being considered for another application cycle, you will need to reapply.​


 Do you have specific language requirements?

Applicants may be requested to provide documentation of English language proficiency. Additional information is available on the admissions page for the program of your choice.​​​​​


 How do I apply?


Review the complete admissions information on the College of Nursing website. Applications to the Traditional BS and the Accelerated BS (UCAN) are processed through the Centralized Application Service for Nursing Programs (NursingCAS). NursingCAS is the online, centralized application service for nursing schools.​​


 When do I apply for the program?

Please check the application deadline page. We strongly suggest that you begin and submit your application as early as possible: at least four to six weeks before the published deadline so that all of your documents can be verified by NursingCAS by the deadline. Applications received by the published deadline will be given full consideration. Incomplete applications will not be considered.​​​​


 Where do I send my transcripts?

Please check the NursingCAS website for transcript requirements and details. Transcripts sent to the College of Nursing will not be considered. The College of Nursing is not responsible for missing or lost transcripts.​​


 Do I need references?

Yes, three letters of reference will be required for UCAN and Traditional Pathway applicants.


 I am having trouble with the application, what should I do?

For questions related to the online application, please contact NursingCAS support by phone at 617-612-2880, Monday-Friday 9am-5pm Eastern Standard Time or by email at​​


 When will I receive my admission decision?

Admission decisions will be emailed. Most decisions are made within 6-8 weeks of Interview Day.​


 Where can I get more information about the nursing programs?

Attend an Information Session​. At the information session, you will be able to meet with faculty and current students, tour the campus and ask admission and financial aid questions. You may also contact an undergraduate academic advisor who can answer questions.​​


 Am I permitted to apply for an exemption of any clinical immunization requirements?

No. We are unable to place students in a clinical setting who do not complete all required immunizations.​